iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to Charge

Started by tallguy, November 10, 2009, 07:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy

I was wondering how other people charged for there time when you are cutting logs that the customer already has. do you charge by the Bf of time it takes?

Magicman

I charge by the BF of scaled lumber that I saw.  No matter if it's 1" or 2", same BF price.  Cedar and cants are only by the hour.  I charge a "setup" fee if the logs are more than 25 miles away and double setup if over 50.  Blades that hit metal are $20 ea.  Most can be resharpened, but it is still $20.  I've got to stop and change the blade, so that accounts for my time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Bartley

$60 per hour for milling, $35 if a band is ruined, $20 if they only have to be sharpened.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

paul case

tall guy,
   im set up stationary and i do custom sawing or custom ordered lumber.sawing is $,30 bd.ft and on green oak hickory elm or sycamore lumber. i get $,60 bd,ft ,  walnut , #1 redoak, and e r cedar kiln dried are $1,50 bd,ft and up rough cut of course  ,in ne ok    pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

backwoods sawyer

I charge $0.30 bft for softwoods and $60.00 hr for hardwoods.
I am running an LT-70 so my production rate for hardwoods is higher then that of a manual mill. I also charge a $1.00 a mile, one way, set up fee. I let the customer know that if I hit metal that there will be a $30.00 charge, however, I only charge that if the saw is severely damaged or I damage more then one saw.

There is a local sawyer that charges different rates for different diameter logs and different lengths of logs and has a very complicated billing system that nickels and dimes the customers. I have had a steady flow of his unhappy customers that have come to me repeatedly. So keep you charges straightforward with no surprises at the end of the day. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

I charge by the board foot!
If a blade is dulled (by hitting hardware, etc) and needs resharp, I charge $5.00, if I have to have it run through the sharpener a second time, it's $10.00 and if it's ruined, it's $25.00!

You also need to remember that in different areas of the country/world, the rates are different!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

charge by the hour if you can

charge for ruined blades if you can

what are you running?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tallguy

a B-20 Timberking. I have been charging by the hour most of the time and has worked out really well. most people around here are not use to having a mill around. I think that there is only one other guy in the area with one. I have not been cutting much but think that i will be cutting a lot more with the way the economy is now. 

Thank You Sponsors!