iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 point hitch winch reviews

Started by milkie62, October 28, 2018, 12:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkie62

Are there any comparisons good/bad comparing Farmi,Wallenstein & Fransgard winches ? 

thecfarm

Labonville sells Norse,just to throw another wrench into the pile. ;D
Norse has a pivot butt plate,the others don't. It can be pinned for dragging.Igland is,from what I have seen on here,just like Norse.And when I was looking, Norse has a higher mast. I had some 4 foot pines and some winches mast was not much more than 4 feet off the ground. But saying that they all do the same job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Winches are like wenches.You have to look them over to see what features are most attractive to you.Mostly it's personal preference,what you can afford and support.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

maple flats

My experience is only with Fransgard. I was a dealer until 1999 when I sold the dealership. We sold plenty when we were dealers, only had 1 complaint. One owner bent the main shaft. According to Fransgard that could only happen if a big log was pulled up too close and locked in place by locking the drum and not by following the directions that towing should be by hooking each chain in one of the chain slots on the back of the unit. However, Fransgard supplied a new shaft (that the winch is on, not a PTO shaft) and they paid us to change it out.
While we rarely hooked the chains in the slots, we were careful not to pull a load too close, that way in a turn they were free to pivot as necessary.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

g_man

There is good advise above. The basic winch is simple and will last a long time. Don't overlook making sure the winch will fit your tractor mechanically.

Do a search on Tractor Winch or Farmi, Wallenstein, uniForest, etc you will find lots of info. Here is an interesting thread I found to give you an example

Tractor logging with winch in Forestry and Logging

gg

grousehunter

Has anyone purchased and used the new Fransgard V-5000
I purchased a new one and used it recently with my Kubota M 6060.
The first load of three sugar maple logs no longer then 12 feet bent one of the chain slots.
I had a Fami but it was small for the new tractor which I logged with for years and never had a similar experience.
I looked at the same model Farmi I sold and it seems the steel is a little heavier.
Has anyone else had a similar expreience?
Has anyone made a retro fit?
Thanks

Ed_K

I had the next size smaller an found that if you don't keep your chocker close to the end of the log when you drive over a rise/hill it will try to lift the other end of the log off the ground bending the slot or break the chain. I don't even bother with the slots I have 4 slides an a grab hook on now and haven't had any problems.
Ed K

dsgsr

I've had two Fransgards, V4000 bought in '00 and now have the V6500 bought in 2014. Never had a problem with the 4000, yarded hundreds of cord with it over 14-yrs. Have had the 6500 for 5-yrs. Don't cut that much anymore but had to replace the cable twice in the first few months of ownership.

David 
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

petefrom bearswamp

Ive had a farmi since 1994
Works good but I too have bent some of the chain slots due to operator error
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV