iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MAXED OUT!!

Started by Delawhere Jack, August 01, 2012, 09:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

My customer from last week sent me some of the good photos. The max cut between guides on my mill is 23", this log was trimmed to 22 3/4" :D I thought it was a good idea at the time.

I'll never do that again......... :-\

22" max from now on.....

hackberry jake

Ive had my mill maxed out a few times and it's never fun, but ya gotta love them wide boards!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Wide boards are nice. As long as someone is off bearing for you.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

:D :D  that's a classic photo.  drenched in sweat, tired as a pup, and with that "what the hell have i done?" face...

i laugh because i've been there brother!!   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Satamax

Answer is, buy a bigger mill :D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

thecfarm

Don't your sneakers fill up with sawdust.  ;D As least you can say, I've done that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom L

are you turning that big cant by hand? my back hurts just looking at that

Jim_Rogers

I know exactly how you feel..

Recently a customer bought some large walnut logs from a tree service.

The tree service guy delivered them to me.

I had to cut them shorter to be able to move them.

Here are some shots of them:

We don't normally see walnut in my area this big. Or at least I don't.

The three in the pile with the one across on top are still left to mill. He wants that long one on top all cut to 10/4 stock up to 12" wide. I'll have to slide them off the log onto the fork lift to move them.

I did the big one with the fork at the end up last week. That one produced 313 bdft of lumber.

Some of it was 1x12 with the crotch wood in it that was very figured.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: mikeb1079 on August 02, 2012, 11:08:09 PM
:D :D  that's a classic photo.  drenched in sweat, tired as a pup, and with that "what the hell have i done?" face...

i laugh because i've been there brother!!   8)

You sir are mistaken. That is the look of pride in having utilized my mill to it's fullest! :)

Yes my sneakers filled up with dust. Brought boots but forgot to put them on.

I use a winch and nylon strap to turn it until it is a manageable size.

davch00

I have found a that a handyman jack and a chain with a hook that will bite into the log makes a pretty good log turner. It can be surprisingly fast after you do a couple of times.

Thank You Sponsors!