iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky advice for a first time buyer

Started by Daren, April 24, 2005, 03:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I have very little experience with chainsaws. I have a small 20 year old Stihl that runs like a top and is a wood eater for it's size, and a Homelite that I cheaped out a bought here recently, it would not even make a decent boat anchor. Wasted my money, now I am looking at a Husky.
I don't cut trees, just do some limb trimming the Stihl works great for that. What I need a good saw for is 1/4 big logs lengthways to get the on my bandmill. I don't try to take big logs, but can't pass on some. Maybe 1 a month, I guess if I had a decent saw I would take a few more, but not many. I just don't like running a chainsaw. I have read the 372 is a good saw, so is the price tag for one I will only use a few hours a month tops. What about the 359? From what I have read they have 3.9 h.p. I can get a 359 for $360.00, but I don't want to have another saw I am not satified with (like the piece of junk Homelite). I am just not sure I can justify the 372, unless I absolutly have to. Any advice would be helpfull, I willing to look at any model I just mentioned those 2. What do you guys think a guy needs for busting big logs that are already laying on the ground a few times a year (without busting the bank) . I am not afraid of spending the money for something I don't have to stand over forever sawing. To make this long post short, I want enough saw, but not too much saw (if there is such a thing)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

TexasTimbers

Daren,

Your apparent dilemma is no dilemma at all, and oh so easy to solve! Simply click on the Bailey's link and order your 372XP now, before someone else posts an answer in contradiction to this wise counsel and leads you astray!
Life is simply too short to live without a 372XP, if, like you say, money is no object.
If you are sincerely only going to use one once or twice a year then rent a chain saw on those occassions, but once you start doing that you'll realize very quickly you can't live without a good sized saw like the 372 and you'll have wasted that rental money which could have otherwise been used for extra blades to cut those big trees you're going  to become addicted to :D.
Seriously, get the saw - it's an awesome machine. You won't be sorry.
KJ
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

wiam

I ordered a 372XP Friday night. 8) 8) 8)

Will

ehp

I would agree , you need the 372, just buy her and be happy 8)

Chris J

Get the 372xp while they're available.  Use it & enjoy it.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Daren

Are there any 372 lovers out there? :D Seems like from everyones enthusiasm if a guy was going to buy one he would not be dissapointed. Thanks
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ron Scott

I'm partial to the 372 and couldn't be without one.
~Ron

Ironwood

Put a rip chain on it, and use a chalkline to give you a guide to go by as you rip, although come to think of it the line will be buried in shavings in no time. As I recall I scored the line holding the saw lenthwise  (givess a straighter cut) with the cut and then only after that did I begin to bring the saw up vertically to get a deeper cut. I use a 394XP, I have friend that loves his 372 as well. Enjoy the smooth fast RPM's. REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

wiam

I got an email today saying canceled  1-2 weeks

:'( :'(

Will

SawTroll

Jonsered 2171 is essensially the same saw as the 372, in a prettier color and different front handlebar angle. Usually the Jred versions are kept in the model line-up a bit longer than the Husky one, so when the supply of 372's dry out you may still find 2171's.

Over here the 372 will be availiable for a few more years, I have been adviced.
Information collector.

rebocardo

I would CALL Baileys and see if they had any more 372s. If they are all gone, you could try a Husky 365, I have used mine to split 48 inch logs. Though for the $500 for a 372 from Baileys or $550 for a 365 from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company,  would take the 372  8)

wiam

Ordered 372 from Bill's Saw Shop last night $503 with shipping, no bar and chain. 8)

Will

jokers

Quote from: wiam on April 25, 2005, 11:54:19 PM
I got an email today saying canceled  1-2 weeks

:'( :'(

Will

Let me guess, Southwest Supply? They`ve been saying that for weeks. Try Bailey`s or Alamia, although the one item I bought from alamia arrived about 4 weeks late and damaged. Price was decent though?

Russ

woodsjunkie

Dozerdan has a few 2171's also at real good prices

I see "getsaws" still has them on sale also
Your allowed to have an excuse, you just cant use the same one twice.

jjmk98k

I ran my new 372 over this past weekend and was VERY impressed with its cutting speed.

BEAST     pretty much says it all.... did I need a 372...No, but am I glad I bought it, you betcha..
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

wiam

Jokers,  Good guess

jjmk98k,   "I ran my new 372 over this past weekend" :'(    Do you know what I thought you ment. 

Will

jjmk98k

Oh, I see how that could be taken as I ran over it with my truck or something... 8)

for the record, I do dumb things, but if i did that, I would never admit to it!!!

:-X

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

wiam

Is an 18 " bar too short for the 372 that is coming tomarrow?

Will

OLD_ JD

is anybody ever find a diference btwen a Jons and a husky?(except the color ::))
canadien forest ranger

SawTroll

It is not just the color, the shape of outside parts is also different. Most covers does not interchange.

The front handlebar on the Huskys are swept nicely backwords to the right. With a natural grip on the saw (while bucking vertically), it is natural for the bar to pass over your right shoulder in case of severe kickback.
On the Jreds (at least the larger ones) the front handlebars are 90 degrees to the bar. They have stated that this makes the handlebar double at "gunning sight" for felling. Personally I don't like it, as with a natural grip your head is more likely to be hit in case of kickback (in theory at least - and the same applies to most saws with full wraps). On the flip side, it makes lefthanded grip on the saw a bit less awkward.

In some cases there is differences in features, availiable options and also slight differences in power and/or weight.
Information collector.

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

Ironwood

Just posted this on the other thread, My local pro shop has 12 372XP's in stock. $600 with bar and chain. Andrews Sales, Talk to young Sammy, 724-238-6020. Should I jump iin on one before they are gone???? He has orders to save me the last one if'in you guys run on them ;D Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jtmccallum

I just ordered a 372 from Bills Saw Shop yesterday.  My cousins run a 372 and 575, said I would do OK with the 372.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

wiam

I got my 372 from Bill's Thursday.  Put an 18" on it.  What a sweet saw. 8) 8)

Will

sawguy21

372XP with a 24" bar is  very common for felling here. I just sold one to a hippy with too much money who wants to go "back to the land" ;D He is not familiar with saws so I spent a lot of time with him. Hope he doesn't make evening news with it :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!