iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mouse Nest

Started by BAR, August 18, 2009, 06:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAR

Hi,
I have a Woodmizer LT-27 with 18hp Kolher air cooled engine.  A couple of years ago when I got my mill out for the season there was a massive mouse nest under the air input guard.  No problem...I thought, but it turned out that the screen was was held in place by 4 bolts with the bolt heads inside and nuts outside.  As soon as the nuts were loosened, the bolts spun and I couldn't get the guard off.  Couldn't right away see how to to remove the nuts and then the guard!  Since I was in a hurry to start sawing, I made a tool from aluminum welding rod and worked for two hours to fish the debris out bit by bit.
Before I tackle this again, has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it?

If I don't hear about a better way, I will cut out enough of the guard mesh to access the bolt heads, remove the guard, tack weld the bolts (or nuts) in place, and weld the mesh back together for future cleaning.   I wish someone from Kohler would explain the reasoning for this design, if there is a rational explanation.  Better yet, someone will point out something I  overlooked.  Make me feel stupid...please!
Thanks,
BAR
3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

backwoods sawyer

I think you are on the right path about tack welding the nuts in place. That is one of those things that should have been done when it was built. Do you have a couple of pictures that you could post of this area?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

BAR,what you could do when you get the screen off is put the bolts in and put nuts on tight with lock tite then the screen with wing nuts.That would make it easier to remove the next time.Sometimes you can cut a screwdriver slot on the end of the bolt with a hacksaw to hold the bolt wile you chase the nut off.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!