iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't know what to think of this web site

Started by raysondesign, March 27, 2004, 11:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raysondesign

:o ???A Google Search for Timber Frame brought up this web site for envirohomes.ie in Ireland?     Maybe you all have seen it and can explain it to me.  Maybe terminology is just different.  I copy&pasted the text here and the link is below:

The idea of building a timber frame house may be new to most Irish people, but it is actually the world's most popular building technique, for example in the USA over 90% of houses are timber frame.  
The main difference between traditional building and timber frame is that the inner shell is constructed from timber while the exterior walls are still built in the conventional way.

In a timber frame house, the basic structure consists of wooden wall panels, timber flooring and roofing materials built upon a timber framework. In terms of strength and durability, timber frame is the most tried and tested form of construction in the world.

When you consider that the majority of newly built homes are timber frame, it is obvious that there are marked benefits from this type of construction.

Countries with wet and harsh climates, like Scotland, Scandinavia, and now Ireland, are increasingly choosing timber frame as the preferred method of building new homes and, in doing so, are reaping the benefits.

http://www.envirohomes.ie/pages/frames/contact%20us%20frame.htm

MemphisLogger

raysondesign,

I think there is some language confusion here. It appears that your envirohomes.ie site is really referring to "stick frame" construction that utilizes stud and plate construction held together by nails and screws.

In the US, "timber frame" refers to the use of heavy posts and beams that have been joined together with mortise and tenon or dovetail joints.

Very different.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Preston

A little confusion there!
I agree very different!
Preston

westpalm

i used to live near their...  ;D i sure dont miss the cold

it is stud walls or stud and plate as they are called here in the usa ,,,, timber frame referes to any wooden construction in ireland,,, guess we just drink to much guinness  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!