iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FIRST PROJECT LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Started by KDEC19, February 13, 2004, 06:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDEC19

:) :)  I want to make a few benches as my first project with my Lt40.  I was wondering where the best place to take these from the log would be.  I would like to assemble fresh sawn lumber.  Is this realistic thinking?  Figured they could dry together.  I have oak readily availiable.  Wanted to get your valued ideas.   I talked to woodmizer maine and my mill is in!!  We are picking it up on the 25th of this month.  Thanks for the help all.  Love reading all the info on this site great job and very friendly forum..  A+job everyone. ;D ;D
gonna do it again......

Tom

A subject dear to my heart KDEC19.

If you want round bottoms, take thick slabs.  If you want natural edges cut a 3" piece out of the middle so that there are no sharp edges to cut the back of your thighs.  

Preferably use fresh wood for the top and dry 2x2's or the like for the legs.  The hole in the top will shrink around the tenon on the leg and help to tighten it up.

If you are able, don't use a part of the log that contains a lot of knots.  Knots flow sap and will crack and cause rough spots that hang on clothes.  That doesn't mean that you can't use tops of trees it is just preferable to get your wood from the bottom where there are fewer knots.

Don't expose the pith if you can help it.  the pith will split and dry rough, giving you the same problems as knots.

Put a decent splay on your legs but don't let them stick out past the edge of the board that is being used for the top. Somebody may trip on them.

Are your legs uneven?  Here is a bandmill secret.  Put the bench back on the mill upside down, clamp it and cut the bottoms of the legs off with the bandsaw.  They have to be level then. ;D

Do you want to make some slick, highly polished, stools and benches to put inside of a high dollar home?  Can't help you. :D

Fixing the legs.
Drill the holes partially through the board. Whittle the tenon. make a saw kerf in the end of the tenon and put a thin wedge in it.  Put some glue in the hole, put the leg in the hole and drive it home.  The wedge will hit the bottom of the hole and spread the tenon to give you a tight fit. Between that and the green seat shrinking against the dry leg, that  thing should be there forever. ;D

Congratulations on the Sawmill.  I, for one, am a bit jealous. 8)

ronwood

KDEC19,

Congratulations on your mill. Did you buy new or used? Hydrualics or manual?  I pick up a my LT40HG25 last Feb. in Indy. Went through their four hour tranining class. Been pretty happy with it.

Good Luck
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Fla._Deadheader

KD, search the forum for the "Table Contest" thread. There are several "Bench-Tables" shown, depending on who made 'em. ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!