iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting 30 by the Cabin

Started by Mooseherder, September 14, 2013, 09:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

When we arrived at the cabin last month, it was evident that we should of harvested some of the surrounding Quaking Aspen that had reached their life cycle.  My plan was to cut some downed trees behind the cabin but when I saw this Quaking Aspen had taken out a fir and made a mess of things I focused on cleaning up the one side for this year.  We took down 30 trees.  I did manage to hang the saw one time on one of the downed trees.  Some of the high stumps were still there because I didn't want to put the saw close to the dirt just yet.  Once again, there isn't enough time to do everything that needs doing up there.  We might catch up to the back of the cabin next time.
I hauled the logs and tops up the hill using the Deuce as my Skidder for processing but didn't get to process them all either.
We have some campfire wood for the next visit.  The fire pit was fed Tops at a constant rate daily.  Didn't make much of a dent in them.
Some before and after pictures.

Mooseherder

Some video clips here.  I waited a day that had the wind blowing in my favor for a drop on the last tree.
We measured it to be 70 foot long Aspen after it was down.  I was terrified that I could possibly take out the cabin with it.
My MS280 bogged down a couple times on my back cut.  It was a relief to have it drop where I wanted it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0NZF78kPw&feature=youtube

thecfarm

I have some of that green-blueish wood too. I have no idea if you want that area to grow back or not. I cut a few aspen in the grown up pasture. I leave the stumps kinda high and take my chainsaw and cut a bowl into the stump. About 3-4 inches deep and 2 inches wide. I fill that full of rock salt and water. I check on them every week and add salt-water as needed. I know you won't be able to do the checking part as often. Kills the stumps and really all of the root system so I don't have 100's of shoots from one stump. Deer will dig at the stumps for the salt too.Along with all the other animals we have around here too.Looks good. There is always something to do. This place keeps me plenty busy. I don't need a camp to help out on the busy part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Salt is a pretty good preservative for wood. Has been used for years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

At least you had a tent as a back-up in case you felled the tree on the cabin.  Now, that is good planning  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Good one Danny. :D
The tent was a great addition this year for afternoon napping by a few in our group. :)
My thoughts are to keep a minimal amount of trees around the cabin and have someone come in to level the area out with some machinery and spread a few loads of crushed stone or fine gravel.  At this rate it will take a couple more years and I may have my own machinery by then.

justallan1

I like the last picture of the clearing and your cabin. That's what I'm shooting for.

Allan

Raider Bill

Great job!!
Place looks real good MH. Love the truck!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

Good job on the escape route and arms up in victory.  ;D Nice truck too. I noticed something around 2:20.  Another project?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Great job thanks for video.  When I saw the wind blowing I was a bit concerned thinking about the wind getting the tree rocking in the wrong direction!

Mooseherder

The wind was rocking the tree some and I was concerned but also committed after I had started.
The stem of the tree wasn't as straight as it looks either.  It had a slight left hook and back to the right side halfway up.
The tree top was about even.  This was the only tree that wasn't cut on the same day as the others.  I would have never tried it on that same day because of no wind. The others had lean or many more tops on the direction of the fall.
I couldn't get thru that back cut fast enough to breathe again.

Ray,  That old Logging truck's cab at 2:20 is pretty smashed up but does run.
The Prentice loader runs off a Detroit motor that is mounted on the back frame of the truck.  The pto runs the hydraulics.
The last time it was started we blew a hose and had fluid all over us while trying to free the grapple which is resting on the old block of the motor in the truck.  I'm sure all those hoses need replacing.  I'll either make a loader trailer to tow with the Deuce around the yard or put the loader on the Deuce.  It could also become scrap at this rate.  Here's another angle of the area.

Thank You Sponsors!