iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new log hauler

Started by woodbeard, November 22, 2003, 05:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

I finally stopped by the log yard I drive by almost every day and talked to the folks there. They seem to have decent or at least typical prices and don't mind selling small quantities.
So I got to thinking, what I need now is a good cheap old flatbed truck.
Well, lo and behold, further down the road, what do I see but a lightly battered 1 ton '69 chevrolet with a for sale sign in the windshield! Did that really say $700? Not 1700? No, 700
So, I call the guy, who turns out to be my neighbor's nephew ( I love small towns ) and he says it runs great, he's moving and has to get rid of a bunch of vehicles. I tell him I might could help him out with this one ;) Sure enough, she starts right up and runs like a top.  8)
Needs a bit of work here and there, but I have never owned a vehicle that didn't.

Kevin_H.

Sweet looking truck,

You know I never seem to find deals like that!
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Minnesota_boy

Nice truck.  Now all you need is a 6 foot piece of 6" galvanized channel iron for a front bumper and it will look just like a wood hauler.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

AtLast

700 BUCKS!!!!!!?????....now THATS a great deal.....REAL nice truck too....up here in Mich that same truck would sell for at least 2000.......real nice find  8)

LSUNo1

Hey Woodbeard, did you take possession of that swinger yet?

Stump Jumper

NICE FIND 8)  SMALL BLOCK OR BIG BLOCK? AUTO OR STICK?
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

woodbeard

This is actually my first Chev. Never really had anything against them, just always ended up with Fords. I've always liked this 67-72 body style, though. Real classy.
250ci straight six and 4 speed stick geared nice and low.
Smaller engine than my 1/2 ton trucks
I suppose I will have to find something for a bumper, one less invitation for the law. I was thinking of a piece of 3x5 bridge decking, but the channel iron sounds good too.
LSUno1, I plan on going to pick up the Peterson either next weekend or the one after. Not in this truck, though. I bet she turns about 3500rpm at 55mph :D

L. Wakefield

Quotea lightly battered 1 ton '69 chevrolet

After it was battered, was it fried or baked? You got to watch your calories on that kind of thing..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Stan

Sure looks good in the photo, too bad it doesn't have the 296 6. I'm a real fan of the big 6 cylinders, they've got a lot of torque.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

woodbeard

QuoteAfter it was battered, was it fried or baked? You got to watch your calories on that kind of thing..lw
:D :D
LW, This is Tennessee.
Fried and served with collards. ;D
A truck can't help but be greasy.

Stan, I'm still hoping I'm misreading the engine tag. It's real worn and faded, but best I can make out it says 250
I will look again, though. Maybe I can scrape off some of the batter. :D

ladylake

Stan
If I remenber right that would have been a 292 inline 6 back then. Drove one for a construction company for a few years. Had really good torque. ( I'm over 50 so who knows
 how my memory is)
Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

EZ

Nice truck, that six and low gears will probally pull a freight train. Coarse, why you would want to pull a freight train.
This past summer, a guy I sawed for had a 72 chevy dump 1ton. Said he wanted $700 for it, ran great, dump work, I said that I would let him know. By the time I made up my mind, he sold it. :(
EZ

oakiemac

Nice truck! Only thing better would be an old International!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Stan

Steve,
You might be right on the engine size, I tried to buy one in 1970. Went to a big time dealer in Los Angeles, well the Valley, and made an offer on a white truck with camper. When I went back after the show, they had a green truck with a V-8 engine. Waved my Credit Union's check under the guys nose, then tore it up. Bought a 300 inch Ford and haven't looked back. My current one is an '89.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

J_T

Even a 250 six will run forever and a week 8) I use to run a grauge and they very seldom gave any troubel . I would trust it more than a newer one any time. Bet you get use to driving it and the comments you get you will drive it a lot.
Jim Holloway

D._Frederick

My mother had a 69 Nova with the 250cu in-line six in it and it was a dog. The manifold was designed that the carburator sat right on top of the exhaust part of the manifold. When you shut it off, the gas would boil and flood the engine that you couldn't get it started when hot. As they changed the gasoline the problem go worst. I have a K-10 with the 292 engine, it pulls good in its power range, but sure never had no flash when you stepped down on it. Back in that time frame, the only other engine was a 283 V-8 and they were nothing but trouble in a truck.

Don P

Dad had one of those, small 6 If I remember it was a single barrel carb atop that manifold D-F talked about. It would often shake loose the carb and snort and sputter, easy to tighten back down. Last time I saw it it was at 350,000 . It was slow but unstoppable, only time I stuck it the rears were over the foundation hole with a ton of gravel on :D.

Stump Jumper

D FREDERIC   THEY USED OTHER V8S ALSO IN 69 TRUCKS 327,350.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

D._Frederick

Sorry I did no mention the year, it was a "67" and you had the choice of the 250, 292 in-line sixes, and the 283 V8 in the K series of the Chev pick-ups. This was the first year that GM  built a 4WD as such, before a regular pick-up was modified to make a 4WD.

ADfields

I'm a die hard Ford (or Kenworth) man but I don't think a better puck up truck has ever been made then a 1969 Chevy! ;)   After 1972 they went down hill bad till the last couple years. :-/
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!