iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust Trailer

Started by pappy, December 02, 2003, 01:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Well good things come to those who wait.

Sold the ole Ford farm truck with a dump bed, it worked really well but all the legals cost to DanG much, inspection, insurance and such.

I put it up for sale and it went before there was time to make something to replace it.

This project took a year and a half but it got done.  I was in a rush to get myself a unit of some sort to haul off the sawdust and planer shavings I produce in the shop.

A friend gave me a trailer he had kicking around his place, and to save time and cut a major corner I built my new dump bed on it.  Everything worked fine until I took a full load out back to dump and the ride was amite scary to say the least.  The trailer I got had  axle and tires that were tooooooo tall and made it verrrry tippy.

Luck came my way this spring and I got my hands on a pontoon boat trailer for $50 bucks, just the axles,springs and shackles cost $500. With some cutting and welding this is what was created.  I got no inspection to worry about and no Dang insurance bill.

front view showing hand hydraulic pump, she's 6 ft. wide X 6 ft. high X 9 ft. long.

view with 6" exhaust from shop and 10" vent.

access door for friends with chickens.

doors open and ready for lift.

dump box in upright position, the doors are usually tied back when dumping but I didn't want to clean up the mess.

A closer look at the frames, pump and cylinder.

I got about $1200 into it, a little less than I got for the ole farm truck and no expenses.  The ole truck just sitting there was costing me, and for what ?? to give it away..  I know I should be able to get money for a load but round here nobody wants to pay for shavings.  So in the summer it goes to the tree farm out back and in the winter it goes to a cattle farmer for free.  I do about ten loads per year.

Next summer I'm gonna hook it up at the saw mill, got another blower in the shop not being used.  Will set it up with just a floor sweep type of pick-up.  Saves shoveling into barrels.

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodhaven

Do you have much overspray coming out of the vent in the back door? And how long does it take you to pump it all the way up?
Richard

Frank_Pender

That is terrific, Termite.  You could put a battery unit on that and not have to exercise much at all. ;D  At first I thought you were showing us a portable two holer 8)
Frank Pender

sawyerkirk

Pretty slick, I have an old for truck that I have thought about cutting the back end off of and doing something similar!I bet you always make sure the doors are out of the way when tipping!! I would forget!

SawInIt CA

Awesome. That is a time saver, 8)

pappy

woodhaven,
I don't get very much over spray at all, the wind will usually take it away.  I do have to pay attention to how full it is though, just tap on the sides  and the change in sound tells me how much I've got in it.
Lifting takes 134 1/2 pumps and about 5 minutes.  Once up I get in the truck and wiggle forward abit and out it all comes.  8)

Frank,
I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the 12V unit, besides dumping once a month shouldn't wear me out.  ;D  A portable two holler might not be a bad idea, I could probably get a contract with the highway dept. and put em at the rest areas.  :D  :D  :D

I had a lady at the store once ask me where I was going with my ice shack.   ::)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

woodhaven

My arm got tired when I saw that 134 1/2.
Richard

pappy

woodhaven,

actually just the first 10 to 15 pumps are a little stiff and the rest are very easy   :) :)

Stump Jumper

way to go termite.I want to build a dump trailer for fire wood. I have an old dump mechinisem with 12 volt pump off an old 1 ton. I think a pump off an old tailgate lift would also work.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

VA-Sawyer

Termite,

Cool looking trailer. Where did you get the pump?  We used to have one of those when I worked at Kreuter's.  I can't remember where they got it, but I've been looking to get one for myself. Does it have the three different holes at the pivot end of the handle so you can choose between more pressure or more volume ?
Rick

etat

That there trailer is ingenious.  I've always wanted to build me a dump trailer but never seem to have the time.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Corley5

That is pretty cool and it'll double as a camper if needed :D ;D ;D ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dan-l-b

Nice trailer Termite 8)  Does it ever get overcenter and not come back down? Extra blower? :o :o I am having problems getting ahold of one :D :D

pappy

Rick
QuoteDoes it have the three different holes at the pivot end of the handle so you can choose between more pressure or more volume ?
YUP  ;D

QuoteWhere did you get the pump?
northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company

dan-l-b
QuoteDoes it ever get overcenter and not come back down?
NOPE    the cylinder takes care of that  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!