iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straight long top plates?

Started by Aeneas61, April 22, 2016, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeneas61

Just wandering if anyone had better luck getting a top plate to stay pretty straight out past 20' in length and what they would advise in this area (technique wood specie)

Last year I hewed the two 27' top plates from the straightest tulip poplar trees I could find, both 6X6, and after hewing and sticking for a few weeks, they crowned in TWO directions, I had to layout with a snap line to get the mortises to line up and flex the frame together with tie down straps...

I also noticed many timbers hewed straight as possible to the line would cast anyway. Is this an aspect of tulip poplar, or using non perfectly straight trees or what?

Anyway, I had about given up one piece top plates and thought to join two with a scarf to get something straighter...

Would love to hear all the experience here.

Peter Drouin

In all the years cutting poplar The wood would move. I cut 8x8 timbers before and I could see the thing twisting while cutting it .
For me the wood sucks and smells bad, smells bad even when burning it. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

He's talking tulip poplar. It can move a little, but it doesn't stink and move like the poplar you are talking about. Hardwoods are going to be tougher to get without movement. I don't mind a little crown in one direction, that can be pulled down onto the posts. Two directions isn't as much fun. I've cut 52' white pine plates with no movement.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!