iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

G M O seeds

Started by jargo432, April 07, 2016, 05:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

Question for you gardeners out there.  Where do you go to get non GMO seeds?
Jack of all trades.

Klicker

Fedco in Maine  http://www.fedcoseeds.com  A co-op. Very reasonable, great selection, very helpful staff, they ship seeds all over US and Canada. 
2006 LT 40 HD

21incher

I buy all the seeds for my home garden from Baker Creek Seeds. They test all their seeds to be GMO free and have some great heirlooms. Have to order early in the season because they run out of some of their popular seeds quickly. :)
http://www.rareseeds.com
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

trapper

jung seeds Randolf wi  they have stores in wi and mailorder
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Gary_C

I have to wonder why you are seeking non GMO seeds? Most garden varieties do not have GMO versions of the seed. Here is a list of the food crops that do have GMO seeds available.

Here's the full list of food crops for which you can find GMO varieties: Corn, soybeans, cotton (for oil), canola (also a source of oil), squash, and papaya. You could also include sugar beets, which aren't eaten directly, but refined into sugar. There's also GMO alfalfa, but that goes to feed animals, not for sprouts that people eat. That leaves quite a lot of your garden untouched.

Also the food scare over GMO seeds is more of a political/import restriction type of thing rather than actual health issue.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sandsawmill14

some people get confused about gmo seed vs hybrid seed  ???  i havent run across any gmo vegetable seeds but i dont know if any are in the works or not ??? 
jargo is probably talking about heirloom varieties vs hybrid i would guess  i raise almost all heirloom varieties instead of hybrids except for sweet corn and sometimes cabbage if the weather has me to late for the full season cabbage i think the heirloom varieties have a better flavor especially the tomatoes :) the heiloom varieties are available at any place that sells seed even walmart and dollar general stores and most packs are labeled either hybrid or heirloom :) 
jargo either way if you get the heirloom varieties you will NOT get a gmo seed.  but i do agree with Gary about the gmo seeds  i dont really like them but im not afraid of them ::)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

jargo432

No I'm not one of those people that is reacting to political/news hype.  My daughter has been diagnosed with polysystic ovarian syndrome.  One way to help it is to eat clean foods and get all the bad chemicals out of her body.  We are learning to grow our own.
Jack of all trades.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: jargo432 on April 08, 2016, 05:29:12 AM
No I'm not one of those people that is reacting to political/news hype.  My daughter has been diagnosed with polysystic ovarian syndrome.  One way to help it is to eat clean foods and get all the bad chemicals out of her body.  We are learning to grow our own.

for sweet corn country gentlemen (white) gold bantam (yellow), tomatoes rutgers(my favorite) marglobe, indian river, most summer squash, straight eight cucumbers, flat dutch cabbage, whooperwill purple hull peas. thes are just a few that i can think of off the top of my head that i have raised over the years  :) there are many many more varieties of all mentioned. i would guess you climate would be similar to mine other than a little drier and longer season  so if you can give the specific vegetables your wanting to grow i can give you some options that will be open pollinated and  not gmo  google has a lot of info to but some of it is confusing  sometimes if your are not familiar  with gardening and the terms some use :)

jargo432

Jack of all trades.

Ozarker

drobertson

Quote from: Ozarker on April 11, 2016, 08:20:57 AM
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

http://www.rareseeds.com/
I have to second and third the motion, www.rareseeds.com is a good reliable source.
And sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis,

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

southern exposure seed is another one that has alot of choices :)

edkemper

Quote from: jargo432 on April 08, 2016, 05:29:12 AM
No, I'm not one of those people that is reacting to political/news hype.  My daughter has been diagnosed with polysystic ovarian syndrome.  One way to help it is to eat clean foods and get all the bad chemicals out of her body.  We are learning to grow our own.

Therein lies just one of the problems. The other is that GMO seeds are developed to work with the chemicals developed for that specific variety. "Normal" fertilizers and weed killers don't work well on them.

Heirloom are originals.
Hybrids are crossed varieties. Developed by breeding.
GMO - Cellular alterations that have unknown long term consequences to human health.
Old Man

Gary_C

Quote from: edkemper on April 18, 2016, 05:47:54 PM

Therein lies just one of the problems. The other is that GMO seeds are developed to work with the chemicals developed for that specific variety. "Normal" fertilizers and weed killers don't work well on them.

That's a false claim. It's akin to claiming that fresh water is a poison to saltwater fish because of the lack of those evil "chemicals" that salt water fish are accustomed to living with.

Thinking that evil exists does not make your thoughts true.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

drobertson

Well to the first question, and I believe has been answered,, go with the "non" hybrids, if this is the right term,, they will grow, and reproduce if the seed is handled correctly,, and again really feeling for your family's situation, health is a tough hill to climb for many,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

i agree with drobertson health prolems are terrible to live with and when diet can help the heirloom varieties are NORMALLY better for you and taste better to me anyway :)  the #1 reason for all the hybrids and other research is to get maximum yield on smallest amount of ground possible. but i must confess i plant the co-op g 90 hybrid sweet corn and red pontiac potatoes  but thats the only thing in my garden thats not open pollinated ( i think ) say_what :D :D :D  good luck with your garden :)

kensfarm

I've planted roundup ready sweetcorn for several years.. the corn stayed sweet.. even past time to pick.. that's what got me interested.  Some sweet corn turns starchy pretty quick. 

sandsawmill14

i have never tried rr sweet corn but i dont use any herbicides and only seven dust for bugs if they get so bad i have to ::) but i do use commercial fertilizer  :)

kensfarm

A farmer friend grew it and would harvest for stores..  the tractor pulled a picker.. that pulled a trailer w/ chairs and sorting table.  That made it so easy..  I'm use to hauling corn in bags going up and down the rows.. your usually soaked from the effort and the morning dew.   

sandsawmill14

i know what you mean i use 5 gal buckets instead of bags but it is wet and itchy  :-\ we also plant the 1/2 runner green beans in the hickory cane corn so picking beans aint no better but we dont have to stick them ;D i guess that sorta counts as lazy dont it :D :D :D

mesquite buckeye

Every food we eat has toxins in it. It is just a matter of dosage.

Just sayin'.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!