iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stunted Oak Seedlings

Started by Left Coast Chris, March 26, 2007, 09:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Several months ago I planted some various Oak variety acorns (Burr,white(east),white(west)) and several sprouted.  They are being kept inside by a window that gets plenty of sun.   Three of the biggest ones grew to 4" tall with four leaves.  They stopped growing and are in 6" pots in about 5" of comercial potting mix.  Two are yellowing and one has nearly all brown leaves with only a little green left by the vains.

What is the likey cause and are they worth trying to plant outside at this point?  It is not freezing and all the fruit trees are in bloom here in Northern Calif.

Please let me know the correct propigation steps if I am way off.  --thanks--
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

Trees don't like it inside.   Too dry and humidity too low.  Plant them outside as soon as possible.  That might save them.  Otherwise, they may not make it inside. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

I've found that trees don't like it inside, but also that small of pot tends to stunt/kill them.
The roots can't spread enough.
Give them a try outside.
Next time, try some much bigger pots and see what happens.

Left Coast Chris

Sounds good.  One neighbor has also commented that the oaks send down a tap root that is quite long and much deeper pots are needed to propagate.  Come to think of it I have never seen oaks of any size in a nursery in a pot.

Sounds like the best idea next time is to simply put the acorns in the ground to start and forget the pots.............. :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

LeeB

I don't know how much you're watering but they may have drowned. Too much water will make a plants leaves yellow from the edges in.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Furby

For oaks, the root part is right.
Ever pull up an acorn in the woods?
Some have 6 +" root without any stem.

Pullinchips

Oaks are sold in five plus gallon pot sizes.  Also the inside thing is probably not good for them.  They will grow and live even in a 6" pot outside, but they will be root bound, which will lead to unfavorble and stunted growth but not likely death.  It sounds like they either dried up and then you watered to late or likely that they were overwater like already mentioned.  If those are dead try again outside.  Oh and also an oak will not constantly grow up like a pine will.  That is normal for them to get about 6''-1ft them just stop vertical growth if they sprout from an acorn.. They have not stopped growing, they are growing beneath the ground and developing a large root system to prepare them for a chance that they get enough sunlight to grow up into the canopy.  This can be seen especially in the understory or shady areas.  Oaks are somewhat shade tolerant and can grow and germinate in the shade and them when a mature tree dies, is cut, or falls over it is poised and ready (with a large root system to send nutrients to the new growth) to take its place.

-Nate

Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Redonthehead

I have several Burr and Swamp white oaks in pots in my office. Started by sprouting them in a ziploc bag/wet paper towel. They quickly sent up a ~10 inch sprout and put out 4-5 leaves. Then they "rested" and built up strength for over a month before they sent up another spurt with leaves. I know they probably need to be outside, but I enjoy taking care of them.

They were mainly a germination test - I collected about 60 gallons of acorns last fall and am in the process of hand-planting them directly into the soil.

SwampDonkey

That's a lot of acorns. What I did with a bunch was prepare a patch in the garden in fall, broadcast the acorns and rake some soil over them, then cover with leaves to hold moister in the spring during germination. The only problem with this is weed and grass control while they set a good root system before transplanting. The mice like to winter in the grass and chew them tender seedlings to.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Zero

I have an off topic question for Pullinchips.  I noticed in your signature you are a "Resident Forester" for the "Army Corp Of Engineers".  Are you active duty Army or more like a private consultant?  I have heard the Army has some "Land Managers" on their bigger bases but have never been able to find any information on them.  I want to be a forester and I also want to serve my country so if I could do both at the same time it would be awesome. Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!