iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

check engine light

Started by coxy, September 10, 2015, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

can you take a road test with the truck if this light is on

LaneC

What do you mean by a "road test"? If you just want to see if it runs ok., you should not have a problem. If you want to see what is wrong, and why the light is on, you can bring it to Auto Zone(if you have them by you) and they will tell you what the code is, and can sometimes clear it. The check engine light on my truck has been on for about 5 years now and it runs fine :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

sprucebunny

In many vehicles, the light being on will mean the computer is in "default mode". I've had the light on for the oxygen sensor for years and never noticed a difference in anything.

Getting it inspected is another story.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

coxy

road test as cdl  put a new motor in it and the light wont go out took it to 2  dealers and they have no idea why its on

sawguy21

They likely won't let you take a licensing test if the vehicle has obvious defects.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warped

If it's inspected and registered I do not believe you'll have a problem, especially considering obd is for emissions not safety. It could be something as simple as a previous misfire.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

brendonv

I remember when I got mine the class b guys were going over the straight truck with the tester. She failed it because of a cel amongst other things. Pretty sure it's gotta be perfect.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Chuck White

I don't believe that they (the "brownie") would allow any of the instrument panel lights to be on!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ford_man

I put an extra tank in my small pickup and they are vented together so when both tanks are low it takes too long to build enough pressure in the tanks and will set the check engine light on. i have my own OBD scanner so I can reset it my self. It would be the same as not putting the cap on tight enough.Technology is wonderful(ly stupid) smiley_tom_dizzyguy01 smiley_tom_dizzyguy01

Magicman

Is the check engine light a bulb that can be unplugged?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Lynn you think just like I do.   ;)  If the officer sees it I bet the deal wont go down.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Pine Ridge

Magicman i believe they are a bulb that can be unplugged, might be hard to get to though.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

sawguy21

We  covered them with electrical tape but that might be noticed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kensfarm

Pull the positive off the battery for 5 minutes.. that should turn if off for a while.  We have emission inspection in MD.. can't pass if check engine light is on. 

Warped

I wouldn't extinguish the light too far in advance, once the system goes to closed loop the monitors will run and possibly/likely trigger the light.
     My F-250 will run a little rough at first on very damp days after it sits awhile, sometimes it triggers the CEL for p300's code which is for misfire (ex.305 is cylinder 5). Hope you don't have an evap code, they can be a nightmare!
I use an Innova scanner and am pleased with it for a 100 bucks

coxy

sprucebunny

Maybe showing the reciepts from the dealers will get you a pass ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

I was not advocating disabling or sabotaging the system, just trying to figure out a way to extinguish it for the driving test.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

auusie joe

coxy

:D :D today DMV told me it was not safe to drive  :D :D :D :D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

Warped

Good grief, could be a loose fuel cap.......in NY they figure it must be a potential road bomb. Of course we'd know with the code :D
A lot of deaths from bad O2 sensor also, real dangerous........

coxy

the sad part is its not showing a code  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

21incher

Quote from: coxy on September 14, 2015, 06:59:59 AM
the sad part is its not showing a code  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

If it is not showing a code then there could be issues with the computer or wiring? I understand if you reset a check engine light in NY you have to log 500 miles on the vehicle before it can be inspected.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coxy

we only do 50 miles and good to go

Thank You Sponsors!