iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bass Pro Shop buying Cabelas? It could happen.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 06, 2015, 08:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

Cabelos actually started out west of me when 2 guys went fishing, they forgot their gear or something like that and had to improvise so they started tying their own flies.  They had good enough luck with them so they started selling them, look how that turned out for them.  I know there's a lot that already do but I see so many people on this forum that can do the same with their woodworking skills!

BradMarks

We have a Cabella's here in town for at least a year, maybe two, or three?  Been there twice. They are good for specialty stuff, but 20-30% overpriced for ordinary things you can find elsewhere, IMO. But it is nice to see the elk that have never made it in my crosshairs ;D

azmtnman

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

We have a nearly new Cabelas a few miles away.  The very first Bass Pro is only two hours away and another one is even closer.  I shop at all three but prefer Cabelas due to its good customer service and friendly staff.  We also have two Academy Sports stores in town.

The best of all was when we had Sportsman's Warehouse.  They were really in touch with what us locals needed and the staff was second to none.  Unfortunately they went bankrupt and reorganized.  The store here was closed and sold off.  I hear they are rising from the dead in some area's.  I sincerely hope they make it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

No complaints with Cabelas or BassPo. Both treat me well and offer good products and good prices - some are better than the other so no problem comparison shopping between the 2. A couple years ago I bought a cuber and have cubed up 5-6 deer since I got it. I think I paid almost $100 and it woks as promised and I and well pleased with it.

BassPro products have been equally high quality for me. I'd prefer to keep the competition.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ScottInCabot

Why not go after GanderMtn?  Or LLBean?

90% of my 'stuff' came from MidwayUSA.....so I don't mind.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

fishpharmer

Quote from: ScottInCabot on November 07, 2015, 06:32:09 PM
Why not go after GanderMtn?  Or LLBean?

Cabela's is a publicly traded company on the NYSE under CAB.   LL Beans, Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops are privately held companies.  It is much easier for a larger company (Bass Pro Shops) to buy a publicly traded company.  Essentially, Bass Pro Shops will buy all the shares of stock for Cabela's to attain majority ownership.  I believe this is called a hostile takeover if the publicly traded company does not want to be purchased.  LL Beans is privately owned, therefore could only be purchased if they were selling the company, which its not.  Gander Mountain was a publicly traded company that has since gone private, so it is not likely for sale either.  I really don't understand a lot of that big business stuff but I think the above is accurate.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

edkemper

We need to get rid of the ultra big corporations and open more small(er) businesses. Eliminating the competition is the best way to keep prices and profits high.
Old Man

Thank You Sponsors!