iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BBQ Flap Meat

Started by Mooseherder, January 14, 2012, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Made a rub for the Flap Meat and Cooked it like a Brisket.
It took about 1/3 the time as a Brisket.
Man it was so good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6-LMpHHzxw&feature=youtube

WDH

Man, that looks tender!  My mouth is watering.  I bet it was hard waiting   fire_smiley.

What cut is "flap meat"? 

Now I know because I saw your explanation on the BBQ in January thread.  So, it is the tail on the tenderloin?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I just Googled it.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

You keep showing food like this and there's a very good chance to see me knocking on your door some evening.

And no I'm not saying when or you'd just move.  :D

Mooseherder

The door is always open. ;)
Flap Meat is the part of the Steer that used to be sold on the Porterhouse and T-Bone.  It was the tail section they'd fold towards the Tenderloin after they sliced the loin.  It runs from the Sirloin to the T-bone sections but closer to the hip portion of the belly.  Markets that sell Whole Loins may have them in your neighborhood or they may even have it in Box Beef cases like we get it.
This one was 2.5 lbs and I'm guessing it lost close to a pound of weight while cooking.

Mooseherder

I took some pics before cooking.  This one is basically how it came from the store.
They usually have a little more fat on them which is what I wanted but they trimmed it up instead.
That is a number 16 tray. It is about 16 x 8 inches.   They'll shrink quite a bit but that is what makes them good.   I had already put the rub on the other side.  They look like a very large Skirt Steak about 3 inches thich in some areas.

Corley5

Ya, that looks really good :) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mooseherder

We had to finish the leftovers tonight. ;D
Grilled some onions and peppers then warmed the meat with Provolone to keep it all together.
Wow is all I am gonna say.  Blue cheese dressing on the bun and catsup for the Fries!

beenthere

A skosh of Melinda's Habernero Ketchup would go good with that too. Looks good and making me hungry. But nothing like that on the leftover's menu tonight.
Might have to go into mourning if the Pack can't catch the ball or catch up some other way.

But, the weather is nice with a tad bit of wind. No skeeters or bugs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

That looks so good that I can't stand it  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That ain't leftovers, that's a meal !!!    food3
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WildDog

Wow those leftovers look good :), I just read Jeffs post on chicken noodle soup and now this, I am getting hungry and we only just finished a big BBQ meal :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Chuck White

Looks so good, makes you want to print it off the computer and eat it when it comes out of the printer.   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

Man is my mouth watering. First Jeff's chicken noodle and now this! I gotta get out of this board now!

WDH

This board should be Restricted  :D.

DanG

MH, I was in the green & white grocery store today and looked for flap meat.  As I suspected, there was nothing there with such a mundane marketing name. :D  Do they(you) sell this cut under another name, or was that it that was all whacked up into stew meat?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

Dan,  Not all stores carry it but you can ask them to bring it in for you.
It is in their order book under the name Flap Meat.  I'll get you the order code later today and edit this post.

Mooseherder

The Order code is 110941.
Tell them to order some for you and take the whole piece.
Let me know which Store you go to if they don't order it.

DanG

Thanks Glen.  I'll probably just ask about it, but not order it if they don't normally carry it.  This is one of the smaller of several stores in Tallahassee, so I might check some of the others. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!