iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My bone head move of the day

Started by Kwill, December 31, 2018, 12:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

This ditch was full of leaves and not letting the water flow through so I thought I would push them on down. Got in a big hole with o e of the front tires and got stuck. The ole Chevy got er out though  8)

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Kwill,

Thanks for sharing. This was not what I'd call a bone head move because nobody was hurt and no serious equipment damage. I would just write this off as testing the limits of your equipment under frequently changing conditions so you can better understand the capabilities and constraints for future use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

If you aren't screwing up, you aren't trying  ;^)

Hard to stay out of trouble this year if you want to get anything done  :^/

Ljohnsaw

At least you didn't get all stubborn and try to push yourself out with your new grapple - that would have gone real bad!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kwill

In retrospect I should have put my scoop on the 3 point and backed in. Wouldn't have gotten stuck then. Bad thing is I walked by this the day before the rain and looked at those leaves and said to myself i need to get those out of there. I should have burned them right then. Was to busy messing with the mill 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Don P

As long as the seat is facing the sky things aren't too bad. I went log bowling with the skid steer yesterday. Trying to nurse around a huge red oak butt log that was et up with gravity. It got a notion of its own and is down on the wrong side of the driveway. Outweighs anything here at the moment and there is plenty of mountain below it. It's gonna have to get comfortable for a while cause it sure isn't going to get the opportunity to drag me down with it.

GAB

Stuck is when you have to step down to get you feet onto the running boards.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

Sounded like a good idea before the stuck moment. Right? :D 
I kinda think we all had great ideas at one time before the,oh no, moment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I ain't saying nothin' !
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

That is about what it looks like trying to feed cows here with all the rain and mud.  My 2WD IH has been parked as it can't even go up a slight hill these days with all the grease and I have had a 4 WD stuck this fall already.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

They used to tell me the advantage of a 4WD vehicle was it allowed you to get stuck in more inaccessible places.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

I don't have a picture of the payloader I got stuck yesterday but it looks remarkably similar to your tractor. ::)

nativewolf

Quote from: Don P on December 31, 2018, 11:56:23 PM
As long as the seat is facing the sky things aren't too bad. I went log bowling with the skid steer yesterday. Trying to nurse around a huge red oak butt log that was et up with gravity. It got a notion of its own and is down on the wrong side of the driveway. Outweighs anything here at the moment and there is plenty of mountain below it. It's gonna have to get comfortable for a while cause it sure isn't going to get the opportunity to drag me down with it.
Et up with gravity is a saying I'm going to remember.  So you've got a nice butt log down a hill huh, need a big cable skidder
Liking Walnut

SawyerTed

Been there myself, I've only had to pull my tractor out once.   We've had so much rain that even gravel that's been heavily packed for 15 years is beginning to turn to mush. The tractor is spending a lot of time in the shed.

Did you try using your grapple to push the tractor out in reverse?  I occasionally have to use the bucket on my front end loader to push my tractor out in reverse.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 01, 2019, 01:36:27 PM
  They used to tell me the advantage of a 4WD vehicle was it allowed you to get stuck in more inaccessible places.
Like 20 feet past the length of your longest chain!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

For me it is more like 4 miles from the nearest road. Places the wrecker service really hates to go so they charge extra for every spot they have to winch themselves out of a mudhole to get to you and back. :(
Howard Green

curved-wood

Quote from: Kwill on December 31, 2018, 12:40:12 PM
This ditch was full of leaves and not letting the water flow through so I thought I would push them on down. Got in a big hole with o e of the front tires and got stuck. The ole Chevy got er out though  8)

That reminds me souvenirs. My first tractor was exactly the same grey Ford. Boy, did I ever got stuck often, even if I had chains on the wheels . I was young men coming from the city and thinking a farm tractor is like a war tank. Too much stubborn to learn fast. So many time nothing could come close enough so to get out, so I attach a good wood pole underneath and tied it to the 2 back wheels. Half a turn at a time. Slow but always got out. Just had to be careful if you are going forward you need something on the hydraulic to avoid getting your back hit with the pole. Backward was the most common way to go.  

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Chuck White on January 02, 2019, 06:36:41 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 01, 2019, 01:36:27 PM
Like 20 feet past the length of your longest chain!  ;)
30 years ago, maybe more, I  had a Case 210B orchard tractor.  Nice big wide tires with heavy cleat tread.  I was installing a rail fence on the perimeter of our little ranchette (5.5 acres).  I was about 40' off the road on a nice level section of grass.  It had been raining for a few days so there were some puddles.  I had drilled a few holes and tried to move the tractor and the wheels just spun.  No problem, just jumped in our 4x4 Blazer and took some chains to drag it out.  All 4 wheels of the Blazer started to dig in.  My neighbor heard the commotion so he came over with his 2x Ford pickup.  He was able to stay on the road (paved) and hooked up to the Blazer with some shady looking chain and rope but we were able to pull the two out.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

your lucky that was mostly water. If that was my yard your tires would be indistinguishable caked in mud all around them.

I tried pulling a log out of the woods before Christmas. Good thing the tractor belly was there. It was the only thing that kept me from going any deeper.

Kwill

This was a minor deal I've had a lot bigger tractors stuck way worse 8)

yeah this one wasn't good
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Crusarius

Now thats what I am used to :)

That is impressive.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!