iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you use this thing?

Started by DR Buck, February 10, 2010, 08:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I got this sharpening guide a few years ago as part of a kit.  It came without any instructions so it's been laying in my saw case just taking up space.

Question is :  How do you use it?   Any pictures on using it would be great.     This particular one is made by Husky and is 3/8".  Same as two of my saws.  The slots in the silver tab are marked 'HARD' and 'SOFT'.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

beenthere

It works great. I use it all the time now for sharpening.

Snap the slots down on the chain links so the file rolls on the rollers and across the tooth.

The hard and soft slots are for the raker flat file.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

And a pic showing the raker in the jig for filing.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR Buck

Thanks...   So for the raker, you just set it on top of the tooth?   What's the difference between the HARD and SOFT slots?  They look the same.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Kevin

The distance the file is from the side of the guide must be the same at both ends of the guide for proper top plate angle.

beenthere

DR.......The same, except the "soft" slot files the rakers down a bit shorter, for a larger tooth bite.

Kevin, I line the file up with the mark on top of the tooth (which is 35°, but I file at 30).  :)
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the information guys. I've never seen or used one of these. Now I know how to use one if the need arises. I do a good job hand filing as it is, but this rig looks like it could improve on your sharpening skills. Every bit helps.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

That's what I use also. Have one for different chain sizes.
~Ron

downeast

It's a handy guide. For better hand sharpening look for the PFERD ChainSharp or SharpForce guides that do the edge and the raker in one pass. They're branded by Husky also. You get the guide configured for .325 or 3/8. Ask a pro dealer for advice on this. It's better than %$#&@*.

Thank You Sponsors!