iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger adjustment qustion

Started by Mt406, March 14, 2018, 01:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

I finely got my old  Marathon edger going.
And its a beast 3- 14in blades 2 fixed 1 adjustable.
It will two side a 1 in board in 6 seconds 8 foot long.
My problem is I am getting is a small curve in the board.
I have realigned the main shaft that carries the blades to the feed rollers.
It was way off. The previous owner must to have had the trouble and adjusted out there were burn marks on blades.
I have 2 blades on that were reworked from saw shop 1 fixed and the other adjustable. next week I will put on the other blade when it comes back from shop.
So this is happing between one fixed blade and the adjustable.
Alinement appears  good parallel between shafts and in plane from side to side.

Is there any thing else I should look at?
I know board stress can cause some of this.

I have a order I have to get out tomorrow and then I can get back to working on edger.
I don't know if the top roller could cause any of this.
I am open to ideas

Thanks

Scott 

starmac

Just guessing here, as I have never messed with an edger, but I have read that the infeed and maybe the outfeed roller can cause it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

moodnacreek

Edgers are tough to deal with. First you have to accept that feed roll edgers like yours don't cut straight in general.  The mandrel is squared with the frame or straight edge. Next all the roll have to be parallel to the mandrel. The press rolls should be parallel also but think what happens when they are wraped in pine sap and strips of bark. Of course the saw should be sharp. The feed roll surface will be worn in the center and sharp farther out unless new and then not for long.  Grade and pallet hard wood don't have to be edged perfect anyhow. In spite of all these things you can do a reasonable job with experience. You may have to slow the feed  for thicker than 1 inch. That's what I had to do. I also follow an overhead guide lite. If you are out doors or in sun lite this won't work.  Don't expect to stick a board in, let go, and get a straight cut but keep your hand on it and follow something.  Be very careful.

Mt406

I was going to check the infeed and out drives for sap build up and dia.
Some one added a big plate of steel on the out feed hold down roller. 1x6x24 size
Would that cause problems?
Should the hold down rollers be aligned also. there on a dowel pin arrangement no real way to adjust.

Thanks
Scott 

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Mt406 on March 14, 2018, 09:33:07 AM

Should the hold down rollers be aligned also. there on a dowel pin arrangement no real way to adjust.

moonacreek nailed alot of what to look for and how to address it.

As for the hold down rollers; Yes, it helps.  You might have to do some slotting of mount holes with a carbide burr and a die grinder to get what you need.  Just be methodical to help prevent going overboard.

I'd start with making sure the infeed/outfeed rollers are true to the mandrel and work from there too.  Doesn't take but one roller being slightly out of square and pushing the board, ever so slightly, to make an edger not cut true.  Been there, done that several times.  >:(
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

DMcCoy

Besides all the parallel and diameter checks I would check the texture (grip) of the feed rollers.  If they are textured make sure it is the same all the way across.

Mt406

Thanks guys 
I now have a good starting point.
I let you know how it gos

Scott

moodnacreek

Scott, forgot to say a few things; After I rebuilt the edger I use currently I built a long out feed table w/ sweep arm and 3 dead rolls in this table. The 2nd roll was about 3/4" out of square and man did I cut some banana boards but not every time.  When aligning rolls cut a stick about 1" shy of the distance between 2 rolls or roll and mandrel. Put a wood screw in one end [in end grain] and adjust for space on 1 end of roll just touching and use this stick to gage the other end. Simple and very accurate.    Doug

Thank You Sponsors!