iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer vs Tractor

Started by Fairchance, September 10, 2009, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairchance

I am looking to buy a piece of equipment to load logs onto my bandmill. How much advatage does a skid steer have over a tractor? A skid steer was recommended due to the roll cage/safety aspect of the design. What do you guys think?

brdmkr

I like my tractor with FEL.  I can't say whether it is as good as a skidsteer for loading logs, but implements for it are much cheaper and it is 'more general' in that I can break a garden, bushhog, etc with it.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Bibbyman

Just my 2ยข ... I'm not a fan of either.   

While I've never owned a skidsteer,  I've been around a number of them.  Seems like there always somewhere between on their nose or on their tail.   The ones with tires tend to plow up a lot of ground.  I don't like the idea of climbing in and out over or under the load.

Farm tractors with a front end loader are an adaption.  The machine is not weighted enough to handle heavy loads.  Often the front axle and tires are not designed for constant use with heavy loads.  Look at a standard farm tractor and then look at an industrial tractor that is the basis of a backhoe.

A lot of people use skidsteers and farm tractors but a rough terrain forklift, wheel loader, or backhoe/industrial tractor would better fill the need.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

I have used a farm tractor for years. Not the best option. I feel it was better than anything else at the time.
Bill

DanG

Whatever will pick up a log and set it on the mill is good.  For my money, a forklift is the best option for that task.  If you shop wisely, you can get a forklift and a farm tractor with loader for what you would spend on a good skidsteer.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dave Shepard

You can also buy a tractor with a ROPS/FOPS structure. It really depends on what your lifting needs are, and what else you might use the machine for. I like my Kubota, as it is an industrial backhoe loader, but I can also take the hoe off and use three point hitch. It can do more things than the skid loader. Run a mower, winch, box scraper, plow etc. Skid loaders are great for very specialized purposes. The tracked machines lift a lot, but are much more expensive to own and maintain. Both types of skid loader tear heck out of most any non-paved surface. Visibility and egress of skid loaders is also compromised. I lean toward a well ballasted tractor, or as Bibby suggested, a rough-terrain lift of some sort. A material handler is also a good choice, but less versatile than some options.

I use a 644 Lull and a Samsung 150 (3 yard class) payloader at work. Both have their ups and downs.

This is my Kubota. Will lift a 3,000 log, or a stack of lumber about a ton.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

cheyenne

I have both a skid steer & tractor plus a backhoe & excavator. I prefer loading logs on the mill with the skidsteer with forks, But it is a ground breaker. Unless you take the bucket off a tractor or backhoe and replace it with forks your sight line will be vastly impaired. I also find the controls on the skidsteer are a lot more precise. I admit a tractor is a more versitle machine as is a backhoe or excavator. Now you fall into the toy trap. I gotta get me one of them.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Bibbyman

Years ago when we were looking to buy a loader,  we saw a small, articulated wheel loader made by JCB that had 3 point hitch and PTO.  You could mount a backhoe, trencher, or any farm implement.   Looked to me to be a real all around vehicle.  'Corse, they were not giving them away.
Sawing since '94

ahlkey

I agree with Bibbyman that neither a skidster or tractor is best for high production loading to the sawmill.  I have both and while you can make them work they are not designed to do the job well.  I have a small log loader trailer with grapple that does great job around the sawmill.  It is primarily used in the woodlot as a forwarder but also works excellent with my truck with a portable hydraulic power unit.   It is hard to imagine anything better as I can turn the log 180 degrees or set the log on the sawmill bed with little or no direct impact.  It is also good at picking up the slabs or anything else required around the woodlot.

htpd43

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 10, 2009, 11:21:36 PM
You can also buy a tractor with a ROPS/FOPS structure. It really depends on what your lifting needs are, and what else you might use the machine for. I like my Kubota, as it is an industrial backhoe loader, but I can also take the hoe off and use three point hitch. It can do more things than the skid loader. Run a mower, winch, box scraper, plow etc. Skid loaders are great for very specialized purposes. The tracked machines lift a lot, but are much more expensive to own and maintain. Both types of skid loader tear heck out of most any non-paved surface. Visibility and egress of skid loaders is also compromised. I lean toward a well ballasted tractor, or as Bibby suggested, a rough-terrain lift of some sort. A material handler is also a good choice, but less versatile than some options.

I use a 644 Lull and a Samsung 150 (3 yard class) payloader at work. Both have their ups and downs.

This is my Kubota. Will lift a 3,000 log, or a stack of lumber about a ton.

i agree. i use a Kubota L35 - i believe it's considered a compact construction model.  they are tough machines.
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

gemniii

Quote from: Fairchance on September 10, 2009, 10:43:02 PM
I am looking to buy a piece of equipment to load logs onto my bandmill. How much advatage does a skid steer have over a tractor? A skid steer was recommended due to the roll cage/safety aspect of the design. What do you guys think?
To answer your q - SS or Tractor to load logs -
SS with a forklift attachment.
But it's pretty single purpose.  If all you want to do is load logs get a forklift.

sgschwend

It doesn't take long before the operator starts climbing out of the skid steer with a load, such as when you remove part of a cant.  Not fun and not safe.

By the time you get a tractor big enough to pick up a large log the tractor is so big you need a lot of room to make turns.  Making you want to go back to the skid steer. 

I have used the two you mentioned and also a mini excavator but ended up purchasing an all terrain fork lift.  Good size but still able to take it out on jobs.  The forklift has load tilt and load offset which you won't obtain with the others.

I value mine as much as the sawmill for making my operation go.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

ladylake

Between a skidsteer and a tractor I'd take the skidsteer by far. Way easyier to get around, you can see the forks, works great in a tight wood, can change attachments real fast.  The down side, they tear up dirt and when moving bundles of lumber it's hard to see the end of the pile sometimes.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cedarman

The very best for a log yard is an articulated wheel load with log clamps.  You can move logs, unload trucks safely, move lumber and is nicest to the log yard.

Next is ATV forklift.  They will lift twice as much as a SS or tractor.  Nice on yard, but usually just have forks with no clamp.  Best for moving stacks of lumber.  Will work with logs, but you have to have a good eye for center of gravity of the logs.

Then comes SS.  Most versatile in log yard.  Only good for 2 to 3000 # loads.  Hard on yards.  Tracked varieties expensive to maintain, but in wet conditions worth their weight in gold.  Always lover boom to get in or out.  Keeps you agile.

Most versatile over all as far as add ons.  More prone to tip sideways with off balanced logs.  Takes 40 acre farm to turn around.  Get one with 4 wheel drive if possible.  Terrible backing up hills with a load.  Harder to know where fork tips are.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

mike_van

Tractor by a mile - Just what I'm used to - I can load logs all day, never tear up the sod. Easier to get on/off of than in/out of.     A zillion 3 poit hitch attachments out there.  With a 3 point winch & chains, you can go just about anywhere & pull out anything that grows near me.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

ladylake

Quote from: mike_van on September 11, 2009, 06:22:41 AM
Tractor by a mile - Just what I'm used to - I can load logs all day, never tear up the sod. Easier to get on/off of than in/out of.     A zillion 3 poit hitch attachments out there.  With a 3 point winch & chains, you can go just about anywhere & pull out anything that grows near me.

Sounds like you don't have a skidsteer.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Simple if you have a big operation get an articulated loader with forks,medium get a skid steer,smaller use your tractor.Cramped quarters its hard to beat a skid steer,but it seems your always overloading them.Last week I was moving a heavy 'whack' of stuck boards if I leaned forward in the seat it would tip foward,lean back four wheels on tera.As long as you keep your loads low with a skid your quite safe.My own mill I use an old farm tractor with forks, Hydraulic relief set so rear wheels won't come off the ground, only lift on level ground. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Banjo picker

Quote from: Fairchance on September 10, 2009, 10:43:02 PM

I would venture that although you said "load logs onto my bandmill" you will be doing a lot more than that.  I use a Kubota  70 hp tractor with fel and I do ok, BUT it ain't the best choise if work the mill is all you are gona do with it.  Unloading trucks is dangerous with tractor or ss.  I am talking log trucks not 16 ft flat trailers.  I have a Prentice 210 C for that.  But without the knuckle boom I would go with Bibbys sugestion of a rough terian lift with teliscopic boom.  Look in his gallery.  With one of those you could unload a good size log and still be far enough away that if something messed up s you don't get killed .  jmo   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Handy Andy

I have both a farm tractor w/ fel, and a skid steer, and use the skid steer for loading logs. Thing about the tractor, you are way in the back and can't see well.  You are right there on the skid steer, and don't break things if you are careful.  If you were really bent on having a tractor, those NH bi directional machines look great.  They are 4 wheel drive, have a 3 point hitch, and you turn the seat around and put forks on it and you have a fork lift.  They are a heavy farm tractor and you can see almost like a skidsteer when operating in that mode.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Bibbyman

We love our Terex telescopic boom loader so much, we bought a second one.  Call it "his and hers" - we use the larger for handling logs and the smaller for about everything else.  Both have forks and we have a bucket and grapple.

Even the "little one" will lift and move a lot of weight.

And place it a long way off.

Sawing since '94

ladylake

Bibby    Send one of those up here, I'll try it out for 10 years or so and give my opinion then.   Nice machines.    Steve

Magicman

I can't touch Bibby's Terex's.

Skidsteers are not "turf friendly".  Some of the newer ones that I've seen have an "unlocked" mode.  They surely can handle a load in tight quarters.

I use a JD 1530 with a modified hay loader on the rear.  Looks like a forklift, only in the back.  Works well but guess what, with a heavy log, the front end comes up.... :(

For heavy's, I use an old '65 Oliver backhoe e/w 4wd.  It will pick up more than the WM can saw.  Any front loader needs to be 4wd.

Thankfully, I don't have to use either except with my own logs.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

I had to make the same decision, tractor or skidsteer. Couldn't afford both. What it all comes to is this---skidsteer is unbeatable for some things, not worth a Dang for lots of others. A tractor with loader is not the very best for anything around a mill, but it's good enough for anything you might need. Then there's the cost consideration. Skidsteers are expensive to buy and maintain. You can easily wind up with more money in material handling equipment than you have in the mill. Tractors-- get one that's big enough... Big used tractors are cheaper than small ones. Big old industrial backhoes can be had cheaper than a small farm tractor. One other item not mentioned here was a tie-breaker for me. In most places, tractors are road legal as long as they have flashing yellow lights. I use an M series industrial Kubota, front loader with forks, home-made winch and trailer hitch on the back. Take tractor and 16 ft trailer to woods, use tractor to skid out logs, same tractor to load logs on trailer, same tractor as tow vehicle for trip back to the mill. Not the best for anything, but good enough at everything.   
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodsteach

I'd vote for the skidsteer if it is a small 1-2 man operation.
For those of you who don't like climbing in and out I do understand but climbing on and off a tractor I don't think is much easier.  My next skidsteer will probably be the JCB with a side door, but the mrs says that will be a few years. :D

woodsteach

ps what is wrong with using 2 of the 4 tires on a skidsteer? ;) ;)
I've got to get a phone with a camera to take some OOPS pix.

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

jander3

I had the same issue a few years back.  I went with an old tractor and loader ($3000) in lieu of the 10-15K for a used skid steer.  Right decision for me based on price and flexiblity. 

Thank You Sponsors!