Sponsors:

How do you eat your grits?

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 19, 2016, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WLC on December 24, 2016, 10:49:51 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 24, 2016, 06:56:12 PM
WLC,

You did not learn to eat grits like that in Alaska. Fess up - where did you develop so much culture.

My wife has a niece there in Wasilla who spent several years in Alabama. May she has been giving cooking classes.

Good ole southern boy here, just transplanted to the frozen north about 11 years ago.  Called Georgia home the first 40 years of my life and learnt all my bad habits there. :D

It's be funny if I knew your niece, We actually live just outside of Wasilla.

ETA: We actually get grits, REAL grits, sent up here from my mom and dad.  There is a water turned grist mill near where I grew up that has been in continuous operation since 1876.  They make good grits on those old grind stones.

WLC,

I would not be surprised. I met a boy in northern Mongolia who had been my daughter's patient in Charlotte NC. Niece's name in Kimberly (Kimmie) and married to Chad. They have 2 boys. Let me know if you run into them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CrufflerJJ

For those who HATE grits, there's hope!  My mom was from south GA (& despised grits), while dad was from OH (& loved them).  As a kid growing up, I didn't like them at all.

It was only when I was older that I discovered the joy of stone ground yellow corn grits.  They've got a great corn flavor, and are not smooth yucky sticky library paste in texture.  They're coarse enough to give you some "chunkiness".

I buy mine from Nora Mill Granary out of Helen GA ( http://www.noramill.com/ ).  I buy them in 10-20# batches, and vacuum pack & freeze them for use here at home.

My basic recipe (from mom) is 3 cups boiling water, salt to taste (~1/2 tsp to start), a tablespoon of butter, a cup of yellow grits.  When the grits are almost done (after 15-20 minutes), throw in a handful of shredded cheddar cheese & stir.  Top with black pepper, and eat.  My entire family likes them this way.

DO NOT (as I did) hate grits based on store-bought corn meal type grits.  Yucky tasteless pasty garbage.

WV Sawmiller

Cruffler,

That sounds very much like the grits I grew up with. My mentor (like an adopted grandfather when I was a kid and young man) took his corn to mill and had it ground. He'd separate his meal from his grits and even his fine grits from the coarse ones. We'd eat them with fish and game along with hushpuppies and vegetables he grew in his garden. You are definitely right about the home ground grits having a lot more flavor than the store bought ones. Then again, I always thought yellow corn had more flavor that white corn anyway whether meal, grits, hominy or corn chips. May be my imagination but my imagination says yellow has more taste than white.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CrufflerJJ

I think the yellow grits DO have more corn flavor than the white ones.  I've tried Nora Mill's white grits, and they don't taste as good as the yellow grits.

Paul_H

We had sweet corn left over in the garden this year so I dried a bunch upstairs in the barn and when it was dried,twisted the kernels off and grind up what we need as we need it.
I've cooked it up as grits and liked it a lot and regularly make corn pancakes served with butter and cane syrup.I eat them most every weekend for breakfast.

It also makes a great cornbread(no flour) which is good with chili or stew.

So a few pics of the process. I wanted to ask if these would be considered corn grits or is there another name?

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WV Sawmiller

Paul,

I'd say yes. The only difference between grits and corn meal is how fine it is ground. Both are made from grinding dried corn.

I have seen Himba women in Namibia make them using a flat rock and a round river rock as a mortar and pestle. They cooked them in 1 quart/liter pots shaped like our old washpots over a fire made of the cobs. I think in Africa they are called "mealies". A lot more fiber in theirs than ours. I remember buying dry corn in the local markets in Cameroon and having a local miller grind them for me. Tasted pretty much like what I was used to at home.
Howard Green

Paul_H

WV,
All this talk of corn grits is making me hungry. You've eaten grits the world round  :)

Magicman

Paul, that is some good looking corn bread.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 24, 2016, 04:41:43 PM
We have Sriracha, wonder if that would make them edible ;D.

I dont think that that would help, that would make them twice worser. :-X
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

Now that corn bread looks yummy.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

Paul,

I have eaten them on 5 continents so far. If/When I get to Australia I may have to see how they taste with Vegemite. I don't know if I could get the water to boil long enough in Antarctica to cook them there if I ever get there. It is refreshing to see you neighbors to the north making and enjoying them. :D

The cornbread does look good. I have 2 confessions though - #1. I actually like to add a little sugar in my cornbread mix. #2. I am married to a mean woman. Ever since she found I prefer the corners of the cornbread she has made it in a round pan just for spite.
Howard Green

rjwoelk

NO NO Not vegimate that stuff is discusting.  electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley

Paul_H

Quote from: Magicman on January 08, 2017, 10:43:31 PM
Paul, that is some good looking corn bread.   food6

It was sweet but no sugar added,just corn,egg,butter,salt and baking soda  :)

Magicman

Good Cornbread has to be made in a black iron skillet.   

Rather than like a pie, but if you slice it like this there are 4 big "crusty" pieces.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Paul,

I bet that your homemade grits taste much better and more "corny" than the store bought ones. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

How do I eat my grits?
Not at all if i can help it.
Now mashed potatoes, that is another story.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Paul_H

Danny,they do taste more corny and smell that way fresh ground.

sawguy21

I really like corn bread with maple syrup but won't get any here. Karen won't eat it. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 09, 2017, 12:12:13 PM
I really like corn bread with maple syrup but won't get any here. Karen won't eat it. :'(

You got me stinking oh I mean thinking
When we make maple syrup dumplings we cook the dough in maple syrup.
Would it be possible to do the same with corn bread dough, and what would it taste like?
I've got to do some more thinking on that.
Gerald
P.S. Anyone have a good cornbread recipe?  I've got some syrup and my wife is pretty good at helping me get rid of the evidence.
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Al_Smith

From my perspective you about have to raised up on them to like them .I'll take the corn bread ---in an iron skillet .

bucknwfl

I like my grits with everything and any way I can get them. Even with green eggs and ham Sam I am.   

My wife likes it best when I mix them in with scrambled eggs and deer sausage and any kind of Cajun seasoning, she calls it a breakfast bowl.  My favorite way is mixed with two eggs sunny side up next to deer sausage and toast for heming it all up

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPD748

Hot with a smidgen of butter. Is there any other way?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: SPD748 on January 20, 2017, 05:47:52 PM
Hot with a smidgen of butter. Is there any other way?

-lee

Spoken like a true grit "conysewer".
Howard Green

Briankinley2004

Usually with a fork but I use a spoon if they are runny. Cheese helps bind them but I prefer au natural with eggs

Thank You Sponsors!