iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

773 bobcat

Started by ely, March 06, 2014, 10:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

on my bobcat I am having an issue, when the temps are below freezing we can start the equipment and the belt will squeal awhile... the water pump,alternator,and the crank shaft... is what the belt entails. dad did it once before and when we checked the belt was loose so I tightened it up, I thought it just got too loose to pump water. had no problems till I started it the other day while it was freezing. same thing the belt squealed a bit then quit. I kept running the bobcat and watching the temp climb... I got back to the shop about the time the gauge hit the high temp mark, I looked at all the pulleys and they seemed fine. I killed it and looked the system over and when I restarted it the temp ran normal.
has anyone ever had this happen before, I guess when it freezes again I will go over and loosen the belt up and see if the water pump is stiff or what.
when it got hot on me, I did feel if the water pump and the alternator pulley and they were not hot like they had been froze up.
this machine has the Kubota engine in it and does run the propalene glycol instead of the ethelene glycol. does anyone know if the testers work the same with that type of anti-freeze. my dad thinks the coolant is getting thick at colder temps and causing probs. I cant see that happening without it pushing freeze plugs but who knows... any help is appreciated.

Trahlin

Belts will squeal in the cold.  Sounds like your thermostat stuck
You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

Bert

I'd agree with your dad. If its getting hot, then the frozen/ half frozen antifreeze is not circulating. Likewise the water pump would be hard to turn and cause the belt to squeal. I'd drain it and refill with the proper mixture first. It takes a pretty hard freeze to blow out a freeze plug.
Saw you tomorrow!

ely

ely

update...i feel pretty silly about this. i got me a new tester for the coolant and it tested out at about 22 degrees. so i flushed the whole system twice with water and put new extended life antifreeze in the system. i have ran the bobcat a few times now and will check the antifreeze again and see what it reads this time, on the plus side it was 80 degrees here today.

Bert

I think we've all  been there. Top off with a little water or a little antifreeze from time to time and before you know it, its all out of whack. Usually the heater core or radiator will freeze up and not let water circulate.
Saw you tomorrow!

ely

that's why I was in denial about the integrity of the coolant, I have never had to add anything to the radiator.

Thank You Sponsors!