iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planning to build an ATV Log Hauler

Started by Coon, March 25, 2005, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Hey guys it would be nice to hear your views on ATV Log Haulers.  I am planning to build one for myself but still haven't come up with the design that I want.  I have looked at various handling equipment for ATV's  and haven't come up with the plans yet.  NovaJack has a nice looking log trailer but it doesn't look like it is built solid enough for me.  I do some logging in some pretty rugged country that one can't get into with a tractor or a skidder in the summertime.  There is a possibility to get in there with an ATV though.  Let me know of your views.   Maybe some of you have pics of some of the things you use to get logs out.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Firewood Farm

I have an ATV and a trailer and rarely use it. I'm in pretty rough terrain also. The ATV is a great go anywhere anytime machine, but when you hook a trailer with logs on it, it's a whole different story. I only have a couple places on my property where I can turn it around.

I use the ATV a lot in the woods, but when it comes to handling logs, I find some way to get the tractor in there. The ATV just has too many limitations.

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Joe
If a man is in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Quebecnewf

I have a logging arch(homebuilt) that I use to haul logs onto my log deck with

Maybe check out pictures of these on the net

Paul

Coon

I put on quite a few miles pulling logs out as it is.  I was just looking for a more convenient way to haul logs out of the bush.    There are many days also that when I go into the bush after some windy weather there is a whole bunch of windfall trees that would make decent lumber but with a skidding arch would take to many trips to haul em out.  So with a log trailer  I may be able to haul 2 whole trees bucked into lengths whereas I may only be able to pull 1/2 or 1 tree out with an arch.  In any one day I may cross as much a 10 miles of swampy land too which is another concern with using an arch.  I would feel much better about having a trailer.

Ed_K

I started with a 225 moto four yamaha and a trailer that hauled 4' or 6' logs, loaded by hand. About 1/8 cord.
Then I got the 350 big bear, and built a 3pt hitch on the back, using a boat winch to pull logs up, then put a chocker on and hitch to cross bar, and use winch to lift the log up. This required weights on front, and hard steering.

Then I took a boat trailer with a floor added, that I used to move the 4x4 around to jobs, and added a cherrypicker from Bailey's on the pole.
I quickly found it to light, as a 1/2 cord of 8' sent me for a ride down a short hill.

Now I'm running a Landini 4x4 60 hp w/3pt winch and the forestry trailer behind.

The 4 wheeler sit in the shed.
Ed K

Jason_WI

Logs are heavy and a hill with too much weight pushing you with a light 4 wheeler it is going to take you for a ride! :o :o

You would be better off with a small 4WD tractor and 3 point winch.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Coon

I have used a small tractor that had front wheel assist on it.  It would not get into some of the places that I go to.  The swampy land and soil is also disturbed too much for my liking.  With a quad I can simply unhook a trailer and pull my logs to my loading site, load up and go.  With a tractor I have gotten stuck so bad that it took three guys 4 1/2 hours of fighting to get out.   In the same spot if I would have gotten stuck with a quad I would have been able to unhook the trailer and winch myself out and then hook the winching cable onto the trailer and winch that through.  I just don't like the fact of a tractor being stuck anymore.   

Firewood Farm

Coon,

Every situation is different and you know what is best for your operation. Perhaps the trailer is the right solution.

Have you considered something like the Farmi or Fransgard skidding winches? I find these to be a real do-everything attachment that can get logs out of just about anywhere, and even get that tractor unstuck if needed. Not as gentle on the land as a trailer, but incredibly versatile. Just a thought.

Here's a link to the Fransgard: http://www.logloader.com/winches/

Joe
If a man is in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Ed_K

Have you looked at the tracked carrier from Jonsred, called the iron horse that may be just what your looking for.
Ed K

Coon

I have looked at the Ironhorse but, I don't think that is what I really want.  I have sat down and started to design a log trailer of my own with a hydraulic grapple, hydraulic stabilizer feet and possibly a hydraulic unload.  Once I get that finished I am then going to build myself a small log forwarder that has its own drive system and hydraulics.   I sat down this morning on the computer and designed both of these things.  I already have some of the steel needed and the welders and grinders now the FUN begins.

JP

Hi Coon-- I have a homemade log hauler that I use with the ATV
and it works great --on good fairley level ground -- 300 + bf will push you down a steep hill and make you spin and dig in going up// --it also goes behind the 4x tractor and this works very well--see pictures at
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4231442&a=31354963&f=0   JP
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

Coon

Looks like a fine tailer but that is still not the style I am  looking for.   I have just designed and started building a trailer for hauling logs similar to the ones that NovaJack is selling.  There is many similarities to the point that mainly the one I am building is built heavier and will have a small engine running a hydraulic pump to run the boom and grapple along with the stabilizer arms used when loading.  I have cut and tack welded my main framing today it is coming along very nicely.  I just wished I had a digital camera so that I could share some pictures with everyone  on the forestry forum site.

jrokusek

JP,

How big are those "log ramps?"  That looks like something I could build and use!

Jim

JP

Jim-- the ramps are 2"x2" about 1/8 " wall? and about 7'6" long(as salveged from scrap yard)--the winch is 2000lb from Harbor Freight (49.00$)
If you can make the ramps a slip fit with 2" id then they would be adjustable length making positioning the trailor simpler.
the trailor is nice when you dont want to scar up someones lawn etc--also I smoetimes get a tree roadside and can scoot it home down the road at about 20 mph.You get some strainge looks with 400bf of 12' logs behind the ATV :D  JP
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

firtol88

Quote from: Coon on March 27, 2005, 08:39:09 PM
Looks like a fine tailer but that is still not the style I am  looking for.   I have just designed and started building a trailer for hauling logs similar to the ones that NovaJack is selling.  There is many similarities to the point that mainly the one I am building is built heavier and will have a small engine running a hydraulic pump to run the boom and grapple along with the stabilizer arms used when loading.  I have cut and tack welded my main framing today it is coming along very nicely.  I just wished I had a digital camera so that I could share some pictures with everyone  on the forestry forum site.

Ever get that digicam? I'd like to see some pics of the finished product.
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

DR Buck

I have a "Nichols Trailer" log arch that I use with my Honda 550 4x4 4 wheeler.   It works fine for pulling 16-18 ft 20" diameter logs.   I can pull up to 28" diameter if the logs are 8-10 ft.    The only problem I have is if the ground is muddy or loose gravel.  Then getting traction is sometimes a problem with large logs.   Downhill does not seem to be a problem as the back end of the log is dragging on the ground anyway.  I use it a lot to pull small to medium size logs out of the woods.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7465.msg102561#msg102561
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sprucebunny

I have a Nichols Trailer trailer The pipe in the picture weighs 800 pounds. I've FILLED the trailer with rocks....well....untill the tires were rather flat.... ;D The tracks make a huge difference in the ATV's traction and dragging a stick or two will help braking downhill. The trailer is rated for 3000 pounds.

Dragged the pipe over a mile.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

slowzuki

Coon, most of what I've seen in Sask that is wooded is also wet, have you tried pulling a loaded trailer in mud with an ATV?  I'm concerned your ATV won't move it too well.

Ernie

Spruce bunny

Where did you get those neat tracks
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

sprucebunny

Here is a link for the tracks. They really improve traction and don't sink into wet areas as much as wheels

http://www.atvtrack.com/flash/index.html

The manufacturers name is AD Boivin in Canada

I'm still trying to figure out how to use something like them on the wheels of my trailer ???

Buzz-sawyer

Joan
I have a suggestion for your trailer that will work for what you want, I thunk.
It is pretty simple to use old discarded snow mobile track to go around tandem wheel sets, just remove the inner tabs off the track , leaving the outers to ride outside the wheels, thus aiding in keeping it on. I have some pick off different homemade track vehicles as well. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sprucebunny

Good idea, Buzz ;D Thanks ... I'll definately look into that. Need to do it to my 10,000 pound dump trailer, also. Guess I can cut it down width-wise , too ;D

Ironwood

Coon,

northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sells a hydralic (sic) brake assembly for trailer fabricating. It energizes the brakes via a surge system on the tongue. No electric necesssary, I would use something like this for your tricked out trailer/ arch or whatever. If you don't need it it won't be activated but if you do then it's there for the piece of mind. It sells for around $500 or less and is fairly inclusive as to the parts, i would make sure to run the brake lines in a sheltered area of the frame or in the tubing or something. Don't want them ripped off when you need them most :o :o

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Octoman

Coon, its great idea to build your own atv log trailer as you can personalise the design and do it for half the price of the real thing (Novajack, etc)! 8)
However, on the design front i've gotta warn you not to make it too heavy!!  An atv for all it advantages still only has a limited load capacity.  Therefore the fine balance you need to strike is strength versus weight.  It seems the more trailer you build the less log you can feasibly pull!  I would reckon Novajack did their research on this factor and have gone about as substantial as possible!
Here is my trailer which works fine.  Its never gonna haul 20' ers but does the job for me! :)

Sometimes, if i've had a good breakfast i don't bother with the winch!

A bit of grunt from Octoman and there you go! ;)

WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

brucehuggins

This is my logging arch and my baby the aspiring forest engineer. 
The arch is what it is.  A snatch block, comealong, some chain, an axle with a trailer hitch.   Luckily I only have one slight upgrade which I must somtimes negotiate to get my logs home to my log yard.  I have brought in some 28" 8 footers that went 1700# or so.  For a really heavy log I will bring it throug the arch as far as I can, this takes a lot of the weight of of the ground.  As long as I keep the angles of the cable forward and rear of the snatch block the same all of my pulling force is directed downward and the timber arch is not stressed at all. 

[img width=400 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/y28/oldsawmillguy/arch2.jpg[/img]
Oldsawmillguy

Thank You Sponsors!