iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jd 540b skidder wont turn left

Started by jdjr, December 08, 2015, 12:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdjr

We have an early 80s jd 540b cable skidder that turns fine to the right but won't turn left like it builds pressure in the steering valve and locks up when trying to go back to the left if we loosen a hose or open the bleeder it will spray fluid and turn fine both ways close the bleeder and try turning left again it won't even come back to center and while holding left turn pressure on the wheel fluid sprays from the pressure line to the left cylinder where it connects to the steering valve... we had the valve rebuilt and tested by AIS it functioned properly we changed the system relief valve some hoses everything is connected properly we checked the flow the pressures were going to the head ends of the cylinders all other hydraulics work great on the machine it just refuses to turn left we been out of work for over 6 weeks due to this steering issue please any help will be appreciated

loggah

Try replacing the hose that you loosed and it steered correctly,you might have a collapsed hose internally that is blocking the hydraulic flow. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

North River Energy

Almost sounds like one of the cylinders is bypassing (one half of the cylinder packing is blown).

coxy

try what loggah says my be a packing came apart too

Grandpa

My money is on a cylinder packing, John Deeres will do some really weird stuff when they have a leaky or blown packing.

Gearbox

this my old standby If a hyd cylinder is acting strange . sometimes it is the piston nut or bolt may have come off . causes masive bypass and does weird things . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

grassfed

If the hoses are on right it sounds like the steering valve is not adjusted properly to me. Maybe AIS did not get it right or something contaminated the system when you put it back together. That part about it working when the bleeder is open makes me think it has be in the valve. When you get it working please let us know. Good luck!
Mike

jdjr

Ty for the input fellas I will be having AIS adjust this thing again I'm pretty sure the packing is good both cylinders have been rebuilt as we figured that may have been causing our issue we've changed hoses it don't matter what hose u loosen it releases the pressure and allows it to turn... Once we have the valve adjusted and the prob is fixed I will update again thanks if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears I'm goin with the valve adjustments for the time being

Gearbox

You may already understand this but I will just put it to you . Steering work's by presurizing both sides of the cylinders then bleeding off one side to steer . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

grassfed

I was thinking about this some more and I noticed that you did not mention the flow control valve.

I know about the 440B model so I don't know if this applies to the 540B model but the flow control comes into play on left turns; the manual says:
Quote" The flow control valve eliminates excessive pressure on the upper side of the steering valve piston when synchronization (between the steering valve piston and the steering cylinder piston) takes place during a left turn"

Hmmm maybe the flow control valve is stuck and causing excessive pressure on the upper side of the steering valve piston so trapped oil cannot drain from the left cylinder back into the lower side of the steering valve .  When you open the bleeder or break  open a line the oil/pressure can escape and the left side cylinder can drain so you can turn left.
Mike

Gearbox

Why is it that we freely give advice and then assume it must be fixed . Then get no answer back as to what fixed the problem . Gearbox

Thank You Sponsors!