iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fence boards

Started by biziedizie, May 02, 2003, 06:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

Hey guys I'm going to be cutting 5' 1x6 cedar fence boards Sat morning. I think the first order is around 500 of them but they won't sell right away and the lumber store wanted to know if they should be stickered or just stacked. I cut a few hundred a few weeks ago and stacked them by the mill and they seem ok.
  What do you guys think?
  Back in awhile, gotta go to the bar and watch the game!

Steve

Tom

I sticker anything until someone else claims ownership.

sawinmontana

Two years ago I hauled sawdust from a cedar mill in Idaho. They cut strictly fence material. It was all green cedar that was sawed, stacked and plastic wrapped in bundles ready to load on a semi, no stickers drying or anything, really surprised me.

Scott

Oregon_Sawyer

Steve:

I sticker my cedar fenceboards every fifth layer.  I checked some today that hadn't been stacked quite right the inside ones were still pretty wet.

But fenceboards go up outside anyway.

My fenceboards are "fall-down".  The only time I will cut fence exclusively is if the customer supplied the logs.  In my area 1x6x12 is worth over twice what 2 6ft fence boards sell for.

Of course if I only cut fence boards I could sell them all.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Tim

If you want fence boards that look like the junk they sell at HD and others, don't bother stickering. Otherwise, I agree with Tom. If you odon't sticker it, the dressing will come out pretty tough looking.

We mill eastern white cedar here. Typically it only takes a couple days of drying time to make a world of difference on the finish.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

biziedizie

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I will sticker them and keep them here and deliver them as they need them. That or as I've known the owner of the lumber store for years I will just tell him to pick up what he needs as I'm not always around.
  The other thing I was wondering about is can I use cedar stickers or should I use something else?
  I got 4 logs early, early this morning and I don't understand why everytime I cut cedar the double DanG trees are always in a gully :D 8 more to go and it will be time to suck sawdust for the rest of the day 8)

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!