iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford F-250 Repair

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 31, 2018, 10:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My 1997 7.3 Powerstroke  / Turbo Diesel finally needed some repair.
172,000 miles

The sending unit in the front tank went out about 4 months ago.
I knew I could drive 170 on that tank so I just watched my miles on that tank then switched to tank #2.

Then the sending unit in tank 2 went out last week.

Parts are getting harder to find for these older truck but the Ford place found a Ford replacement unit in Memphis and 1 in Atlanta.

Took 5 days to get them both.

During that time they removed both tanks and cleaned the Algae, water and trash out of the tanks. washed and dried.
New filter, replaced fuel lines and anything else that was cruddy.

Got it all back together yesterday, filled the tanks and they test drove it.
2 year warranty on parts and labor any where in the USA.

Runs so much better and really has faster excelaration than before.

Total Price: $1351.00.

Now you know.  :)

I guess I could say I got The Powerstroke Serviced. (TPS).
Those letters will always haunt me.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

What - they didn't put in some gas for you??   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

Yikes. I would have done what most do and swap in a single 33 gallon plastic tank and sender in the rear and remove the front tank and the troublesome fuel selector valve that tends to cause problems at the worst times. On my OBS Ford the fsv got stuck drawing from the front tank but returning to the rear tank, left me out of fuel on the side of the road with an empty front tank and a overflowing rear tank, next day I deleted all that garbage and went to a single tank.

sawguy21

Nothing cheap about running a vehicle these days. I had the heater core and water pump replaced on the 05 Ram ctd last winter, that knocked the starch out of $1,000. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Larry

Last year I had the front sending unit and both tanks dropped/cleaned on my 97. I think my bill was a couple hundred more but they also replaced an oil galley plug on the head. I was amazed at the price of the sending unit.

This summer replaced all hoses, and flushed the cooling system. Than I had new glow plugs installed as four were dead. Replaced the starter myself.

Next item is replacing the driver side door hinges. The door really rattles on a rough road.

Mind just hit 170,000. Actually it runs better than most brand new ones.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

moosehunter

Poston,  if you lived in NY this would have been the second time you replaced all of that along with all the fuel lines, tank straps, fuel filler neck. Tanks is they are steel. I used to own a shop, made a lot of money changing rusty fuel system parts.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DPatton

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on October 31, 2018, 10:47:23 PM
My 1997 7.3 Powerstroke  / Turbo Diesel finally needed some repair.
172,000 miles.
:D :D :D David that powerstroker has got more years on it than miles. ;) 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

caveman

My powerstroke is old enough to vote and yours is old enough to drink.  Older iron does occasionally need some tlc.  That '97 of yours is worth maintaining.

Caveman

Dave Shepard

That's not even a couple of months payments on a new truck. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

I'd put that kind of money into an clean old southern diesel pickup in a heartbeat. I'm watching my 03 Dodge start to rot out, it drives me nuts!👎
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I agree with Y'all. I was looking at the new F-150's, 250's and 350's.
Number 1 the prices are outrageous.
Number 2 so much computer stuff on them now and ya can't even get to an alternator on some of them.
Number 3 the county taxes on them in my county are high enough to make you cry.
Number 4 the full coverage insurance on them while you're making the big payments is enough to keep you awake at night.

I heard rumors that Ford is bringing the 7.3 back.
It'll never be like the Legend 7.3....I'm just curious what the bugs will be and even what the thing will look like.
My '97 7.3 fills the front end up plus I have the Dana 50 front end.
What will the new ones have?

I've also heard rumors that taxes will be going up on older cars since there are getting to be more of them on the rode and less new ones.

My good friend owns a body shop and had to replace a headlight in a Lexas the other day.
$1000.00 for a used Lexas headlight!!!!
Are you kidding me?????
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

snowstorm

from what i have heard the new 7.3 will be a gas motor. as far as putting a alternator on a new one. i changed 1 on 1 of my 6.7s . it looked hard till i took the air box off that and the oil fill tube on the valve cover along with the top rad hose. the hose has a spring clip to hold it on. 2 seconds to get the hose off. it wasnt all that bad to change. just gotta be brave. that dana 50 independent axle may be fine down south. but almost all of them with the diesel and a snow plow broke the housing on the drivers side. rite by the u bolts. when my 97 broke there the first time i asked at the ford dealer. his reply was they all broke i have 8 of them waiting to be replaced. if you ever need to replace the center u joint. a lift really helps burn the old one out with torch i do the same with the outer ones. it saves taking a lot of things apart 

snowstorm

and if a dana 50 ifs dose break a dana 60 will bolt in. the springs should be replaced or it will ride like a stone drag. ruff very ruff. would also need a double caradan u joint for front drive shaft

hturner12

Quote from: caveman on November 03, 2018, 08:47:54 AM
My powerstroke is old enough to vote and yours is old enough to drink.  Older iron does occasionally need some tlc.  That '97 of yours is worth maintaining.

Then what does that make my 90 7.3?
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

samandothers

Quote from: hturner12 on November 06, 2018, 04:39:34 PM
Quote from: caveman on November 03, 2018, 08:47:54 AM
My powerstroke is old enough to vote and yours is old enough to drink.  Older iron does occasionally need some tlc.  That '97 of yours is worth maintaining.

Then what does that make my 90 7.3?

Old!

Thank You Sponsors!