iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restaurants

Started by lowpolyjoe, April 17, 2016, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

For as long as I can remember, if my dad liked a restaurant, he would say "and they don't rush you".

That never meant too much to me.  I don't like dining out all that much. When I do eat out, I usually want to get it over with and go home and I always feel like I'm in more of a rush than anyone else involved  :D.  But this evening I got a different perspective.

I was out with some family for a birthday dinner.  It was a hibachi place, where they cook in front of you on a grill.  They cook the rice and give it to you.  Then they cook the noodles and give them to you.  Then the veggies, and finally the meat.  Well, it couldn't even have been 5 minutes after they gave us the meat that they came over to the table with the doggie bags and started encouraging us to wrap up our left overs.  I wasn't done eating, but I didn't want to make a scene, so I wrapped up my food so I we could move on to desert. 

We each get ice cream, which they shuffled onto the table in the midst of the doggie bag packing.  AT THE SAME TIME, they bring out the check.  Earlier in the night, we had asked for the check to be brought to our side of the table... but they sent it to the other side, which was awkward.  Eventually we got it, I gave my card, and they immediately took it away.  I take one bite of desert and the check is back - AGAIN it goes to the wrong side of the table.  As I'm filling out the details on the bill, 4 people are trying to clear our plates.  Someone else comes and sets down a pile of clean plates and stands there, watching everyone finish their dessert, waiting to take their plates and get us out.   

I was so angry.  I generally try not to be confrontational, but I couldn't control myself.  I told the woman standing there that for the prices they're charging (they're not cheap) they ought not to be rushing people out like that.  Thankfully, she scampered off after that.  But it ruined my whole mood.  And it's a shame because the food is delicious.

When we left there was a crowd of people waiting at the door.  Clearly they overbook and don't allow enough time between seatings.  I know they have to clear tables and make money, but standing at the table watching us eat is over the line.

Luckily, everyone else was having a good time and hardly noticed- I think I was the only one seriously bothered.

r.man

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, like you I don't eat out a lot and if a place is very busy I don't want to go in anyway. Not sure I have ever had a reservation but I would not want to be rushed, I am a slow eater.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

rjwoelk

If that happened to me I can guarantee no tip and probably ask for a reduction, not really care if I got it or not but just to make a point, about rude behavior.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Corley5

My sons and I went into a local restaurant a few days ago for lunch.  They've always got good food and service.  This time was altogether different.  The kids ordered clam baskets and I ordered an olive burger with fries and a bowl of soup.  The olive burger is supposed to be topped with an olive relish of sorts and I also requested it have cheese and mayo.  I've had it before.  My soup didn't come out first it came with the burger and kids meals.  Which I could deal with.  My burger had lettuce which I specifically didn't want, mayo and no cheese or olive stuff  :o ::) >:( and our waitress made herself scarce after bringing the order.  I flagged down another waitress and explained the problem.  She whisked the burger away and our waitress scurried out to say they were correcting the problem with a new burger.  Two minutes later she was back with the same burger that they had scraped the wilted lettuce off the now cold French fries and but back on the burger along with some chopped olives.  No cheese and by now the mayo was turning that unfresh color  >:( :( but she scampered away before I finished my inspection.  Within a minute a manager came over to apologize and I said the burger wasn't going to get it done and explained the situation after she told me that cheese has to be requested.  I told her I ordered an olive burger with only cheese and mayo to begin with.  The burger was taken off the bill and I got a strawberry shortcake with ice cream for no charge.  I wonder how much spit I ate in that.  The kids food was good.  We'll not be going back there for a while.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

when I eat out I don't eat fish but the wifey does so she got fish as she was eating it I seen something that was not right the fish looked like it was moving and it was it had worms in it little to late she ate at least 25% of it  :o the waitress got a little bit huffy the owner came over and(tried) to tell us that that kind of fish had worms in it to start with  >:( >:( >:( long story short the food was free and the owner and the law told me I was never to step foot in his place again  :D like I would go there anyway 

lowpolyjoe

A while back i told myself i need to stop being so negative.  No more negative posts on any forums.   Since then, my post count has dropped significantly.  lol  :D.      But last night i couldn't help myself. 

I guess everyone has their own restaurant story.   Worms in the fish is a pretty bad one  :o.  Thanks for reading my rant  :D

Roxie

i have been a waitress, off and on, since I was 13 years old.  During the 1980's and 90's, I turned myself into a two income family by accounting Monday through Friday, and waitress Saturday and Sunday, unusually the breakfast shift. 

It didn't pay me to work at a restaurant or diner that had bad management or a mediocre cook.  Those two things could absolutely turn a lucrative shift into a worthless shift  I guess what I'm saying is that for the waiter or waitress, who is making about $3.00 an hour, those tips are everything.  Whenever possible, please don't short them, unless as lowpolyjoe's situation and they failed to be attentive to your needs. 
Say when

Corley5

I always tip well.  My wife, mother, aunts and cousins have all worked as waitresses.  In my tale it was the kitchens fault although the waitress could have been more attentive.  She did get a tip  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mooseherder

I've always wondered why they sit you on top of each other when the place is wide open with empty spots.  There can be 20 tables open but they want to sit you right next to another guest to make it convenient for the staff?  Heck, I want the table over here that is only 10 feet away.  Is that too far for them to walk to? :D

Roxie

Lazy hostess.  If there are tables available that I'd prefer, I don't hesitate to request those.  Watch the look on their face when you do that, and it will be one of confusion and angst.   :D

Say when

Mooseherder

That's why I hate to ask.  It sets them off right away. :D

sandhills

I see everyone's points here and agree with all, I'm married to a past time waitress, and my daughter has done it for the last few years in high school so I know what Roxie is talking about, it's not always their fault.  On the other hand you can get an "over bearing" one now and again but we always leave a tip (although some maybe bigger than others).  We don't eat out too often either and when we do it's usually in a small town about 30 miles away, our favorite waitress that literally worked her butt off every night must have decided to retire, haven't seen her there the last few times  :-\.  My wife took care of her husband many times in the hospital over the years so she always knew us.  Well I suppose I'll let her do it, although she was only in her eighties  :).

lowpolyjoe

I always tip - usually 20%.   But i don't like the idea of tipping.  The livelihood of the wait-staff should not depend on the whim of the customer.  I feel they should be paid a fair wage.  If they do an incredible job (which is very very rarely the case in my experiences here in the north east) then you could leave extra.  But i don't expect that system will ever come to pass, so i do what i think is fair and generally tip well.

Last night i was furious, but the rush job seemed more the fault of the owners than the waiter.  I left around 18% and gave the cook (who is essentially a performer at a hibachi place) an additional cash tip.  Today i check my charge card statement online and find it only has the cost of the meal, without the 18% tip added.  So now i feel terrible because the owner must have punished the waiter even though he was not at fault. It was the owner(s) who were standing over our table  and pushing the bussers to clean up our table while we were still eating.

The whole experience has been frustrating.

lowpolyjoe

This is why i'm a hermit   :D

sawguy21

I tip fairly if the service and food are good. It is my way of showing my appreciation for a job well done, the staff wants to be rewarded they hustle.
My mother would get furious if I tipped. "They are getting 8 dollars an hour. Why, when I waitressed I got 50 cents an hour and was lucky to find a dime on the floor." She didn't like being reminded that was fifty years ago. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

Keep an eye on the charge. It may actually have the tip when it "hard" posts. I've seen that before when the charge is still pending.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

One of my pet peeves is the community tip jar. I think it is unfair for a hustling, hardworking, outgoing waitress to subsidize her lazy, cranky counterparts. I understand the waitress is supposed to share a % of the tips with the busboys and maybe other staff. I think each one should be rewarded or penalized on their own merit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 18, 2016, 01:22:17 PM
Keep an eye on the charge. It may actually have the tip when it "hard" posts. I've seen that before when the charge is still pending.

My wife said something similar.  I don't remember ever seeing that myself... but i don't often go out to eat.

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 18, 2016, 02:14:59 PM
   One of my pet peeves is the community tip jar. I think it is unfair for a hustling, hardworking, outgoing waitress to subsidize her lazy, cranky counterparts. I understand the waitress is supposed to share a % of the tips with the busboys and maybe other staff. I think each one should be rewarded or penalized on their own merit.

That does sound like a raw deal.  It's the opposite of incentive. 

Roxie

I would not waitress at any establishment where I was expected to pool my earnings.  The only waitstaff that likes that arrangement are the ones that aren't making it in the tip department.  Busboy income was the responsibility of management, in my opinion, and sometimes I felt that I could do better without the "help" in the way. 
Say when

gspren

Waitresses at one of the local (when we are at our DE house) sports bar/restaurants have lately been rounding the bill up to the next dollar when they bring change on a cash sale, first time was only 12 cents the next time was 28 cents and I said something so she answered rudely that she'll get it for me. I said "don't bother but you shouldn't ever round up" both times the waitress lost out because I lowered the tip to the next lower dollar, just not right.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

edkemper

Quote from: rjwoelk on April 17, 2016, 09:30:37 PMIf that happened to me I can guarantee no tip.

No tip? Wouldn't even bother them about a reduction. They'd all be far to busy cleaning up the broken clean plates I accidentally knocked off my table.

However, I would ask for the manager. I'd just mention that while my family is eating, I own that table. I'd also mention that I'd be very attentive to everyone of my friends about how bad the service was.

Of course, it'd be an empty threat. I don't have that many friends.

I am the perfect restaurant guest under normal circumstances. But I'll be damned if I am going to be bum rushed at a meal out.
Old Man

tree-farmer

In any public service job, it should be uderstood that a happy customer will tell 2 or 3 friends about a good experience. If a bad experience is had, they will tell everyone they know.
Maybe even post it on the Forum..... :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Roxie

Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tree-farmer on April 18, 2016, 07:23:25 PM
In any public service job, it should be uderstood that a happy customer will tell 2 or 3 friends about a good experience. If a bad experience is had, they will tell everyone they know.
Maybe even post it on the Forum..... :D

Ya think?  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

muggs

I can't stop thinking about the worms in the fish.    :o    Muggs

Thank You Sponsors!