iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch question

Started by ohsoloco, November 04, 2009, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

I am having a problem with one of the solenoids on my S9000 Superwinch.  A while back it wouldn't power out for me, it would just click at the solenoid.  Got a deal on Ebay for two brand new solenoids (still in plastic) so I bought them.  Put one in and it worked when I tested it.  Put the winch back together, and the same ol' click  :(  Took it apart and put on the other solenoid.  Same thing, it worked once, and then just a click.  If I tap on the solenoid while operating the remote it will work...but that only works when it's opened up. 

I also replaced the remote switch (as well as the wiring harness on the winch) at the same time.  It's wired up the same way, so I'm just wondering what could be causing this?  Hard to believe that two new solenoids would be bad.  I wrote to the ebay seller, and he shipped me two new ones, but I haven't put one in yet.  Not sure what to do, and the tech guy at Superwinch won't return my call  >:(  That's disappointing, because the tech. i dealt with a couple years ago was extremely helpful with phone calls and emails.  "power out" obviously works, but why just one time  ???

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohsoloco

Woudn't that cause a problem for powering in as well as out? 

DanG

Not necessarily.  The solenoid is just a relay.  The current that causes it to operate is on a different circuit from the one that actually runs the winch.  I would bet that you have a faulty ground.  Run a separate ground wire from the negative side of the solenoid directly to your battery's negative terminal, and your troubles will likely be over.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

DanG, you mentioned doing this for my winch connection in another thread.  I grounded it to the bumper of the truck again, and I just have the power in function.  I'm running 2/0 cable from the positive battery terminal (through a disconnect switch) to the winch.  Would I need that heavy of a wire for the ground?  I had to buy a couple feet of it to legthen the current cable, and that stuff is now $3.75/foot  :o

Reddog

On dc power your cables need to be the same guage for both + and - 

ohsoloco

Not what I wanted to hear, Reddog  :-\  I'm just wondering why it worked fine for EIGHT years before having this problem.  Is there any need for a disconnect switch on the ground cable, since the positive has one  ???

Reddog

The only disconnect you need is on the positive cable.
May have finally fried the negative cable if is that much smaller.

Try taking a pair of jumper cables and see if it works right. Then you can make sure it is the cable before spending the money. :)

ohsoloco

Quote from: Reddog on November 05, 2009, 08:42:48 PM
Try taking a pair of jumper cables and see if it works right. Then you can make sure it is the cable before spending the money. :)

I don't have a pair of jumper cables, either.  You're costing me more money by the minute, Reddog  :D   I'll borrow a pair and check it out. 

Reddog

Sorry, I was trying to save you money :D

ohsoloco

Y'know what the really sad thing is?  Last week I finally stripped the insulation off of some 2/0 and 4/0 aluminum cable I scrounged out of a junk pile back in the summer  :(  I keep telling myself it would've been waaaay too stiff to use in this application, even if it's just to make me feel better  ::)

Reddog

Aluminum wire does not work well with High load DC current. It takes a much larger alum wire to transfer the same amperage as copper.
Plus there is more chance of it to crack from the vibrations of this application.

shinnlinger

If it were me, I would first check the voltage of my batteries and then take those connections apart and clean them up with a wire brush, test for resistance, and if good, put them back together making sure it was all clean metal and use wire goop.  The signal wire between the solenoid and your controller is also suspect.

This approach has saved me from buying batteries and cables more than a few times.   a little bit of corrosion can ruin your whole day.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

ohsoloco

Thanks for all the replies so far  :) 

Reddog, that makes me feel much better  ;)

Shinnlinger, the wire between the solenoid and the controller is brand new...just bought a new controller, and had to replace the harness that connects the controller to the solenoids.  This problem popped up with my last truck, and I still have it after hooking everything up to the new one.  Testing for resistance sounds technical...even if I had a tester, I wouldn't know what to do with it  :-\

DanG

Don't panic Ohso!  The ground wire I'm talking about is the one that activates the solenoid, not the one that works the winch.   It is a very low current circuit and only needs a small wire, like the ones that run your taillights.  That circuit just operates a small electromagnet that connects your big power cable to the winch motor when you push the button.  That electromagnet has a lot of resistance to the flow of current, which causes it to be a low current circuit, by design.  These low current circuits require a very good ground in order to operate.

Locate the solonoids if you haven't already and loosen one of the screws or bolts that hold them onto the winch.  Clean it and the surface around it of all dirt, grease and paint.  Strip one end of the wire and stick it under the fastener and retighten it.  Then secure the other end of the wire to the negative terminal of the battery.  You can get the wire at the auto parts place for 3 or 4 bucks if you don't already have any.  18 guage wire will be sufficient.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shinnlinger

I will add that a $20 (or less) multi meter at sears will test resitance.  You set the dial to upside down horse shoe and touch one probe to one end of your wire and the other probe to the other end.  If you get any kind of number larger than .02 you probably have some problem in the wire itself.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

ohsoloco

Great, got a few things to try when I get the chance.  Thanks!

gary

I just got a multi meter at harbor freight for $1.99

DanG

Quote from: gary on November 06, 2009, 08:14:25 PM
I just got a multi meter at harbor freight for $1.99

I bought a sack full of them last time I was there.  Been giving them to people who have been borrowing mine. ;D :D

Tom_Averwater

QuoteI bought a sack full of them last time I was there.  Been giving them to people who have been borrowing mine
DANG, Thats a good idea.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Thank You Sponsors!