iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Successful Deer Hunt

Started by Kirk_Allen, November 10, 2005, 09:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Ever try callin them coyotes, Kirk ??  I youster get 'em so close, it was difficult to focus in the scope.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kirk_Allen

On a regular basis Harold.  I have an electronic caller and during our night hunting we use shotguns and let them get within 20 feet of us 8) 8) 8)  We have 24 hr season on them right now.  I think that ends around the 12 of Jan. 

During the day we use the rifles and challenge our distance shooting skills  ;D

Corley5

I'm interested in calling coyotes and would like to hear more about it.  I've shot a few but only because they happened along at the wrong time for them ;D.  Do you ever call them in during daylight hours or only at night ???  We've had an over abundance of the d***ed things for too long now and our deer population shows it.  We see too many big does without fawns :(  That and we lost my wifes little dog to what I'm pretty sure was a coyote a few years ago.  He disappeared mid day without a trace :(  I've a got a 22-250 Rem in a VM77 Ruger that is just itching to do the same thing to coyotes as your 220 Swift 8) 8) 8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kirk_Allen

We have called them in during morning, mid day, afternoon and at night.   I started with hand held "blow" type predater calls (hurt rabit etc) and had lots of luck but most hand held calls are limited to your ability to keep blowing adn very few options regarding types of calls.

Dont get me wrong, you can kill a LOT of coyotes with them, as we have!  We simply got tired of blowing the stupid thing and learned quickly that coyotes can pinpoint the source of a sound from at least 200 yards away so you BETTER be camoed real good and the prefer to come at you downwind, which makes scent control a must.

We upgraded to an electronic call and have had a ball with it, other than the one I have is comberson to carry and set up. (my own fault).  I hooked it up to 200 feet of speaker wire and I will set the speaker next to a rabbit decoy.  The coyote focuses on the noise and the decoy leaving me the freedom to move and not be spotted.  Its a blast to follow one in with the cross hairs on him and wait for that perfect moment.  Dont wait to long because they will speed in and take your decoy.  Ond dog didnt drop the stupid thing for close to 300 yards. He came in so fast I couldnt get a clean shot.

Have learned that when they come in fast I shut the caller off and that will usually make them stop and evaluate what was making the noise, stop long enough to get whacked  8)

They have some digital callers out now that are awsome. Remote control and every call you can imagine. 

1. fighting racoons
2. baby coons
3. hurt rabbit
4. locator calls

The list goes on.  Grab a Cobelas catalog and you will see that there are plenty to choose from. 

If there are any coyotes in the area your hunting, you will know within 15 minutes of calling.  That is why I like it so much. If nothing shows in that 15 minutes, get up and go to another spot.  We have gotten in at least 10 call sites in the morning before and taken dogs at all of them. 

Pick up a predetor DVD from walmart and you will be amazed how much you can learn about hunting them.

My brother has become a master at bowhunting them.  He took 2 in one sit two years ago and has nailed 7 with his bow in the last 3 years. 

Me, I prefer to see the carnage of ballistics at work

Fla._Deadheader

Get the ''Distressed Woodpecker'' from Johnny Stewart. Put yer gun to yer shoulder, before flickin the switch ;) ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kirk_Allen

You got that right Harold.  I dont have that one but my brother does on his digital. Works great. 

I have the Jonny Stewart electronic predetor calling set.  It uses casettes where as all the new ones are either DVD, CD or digital.

I might just have to go out to the front yard and start up a call and see if another brave dog is willing to come out  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

My caller was an 8 track outta a car. 2 gel 6V batteries and a ''Cone'' Speaker. Light and fast. Used a .22 single shot with 4X scope. Lots of brush in Arkyland.

One night called a friends neighbors outta their house, a half mile away. Never let 'em know we were there. Nother night, they soiled their britches when they stepped around the ERC I was sittin under, and I asked 'em if they was lost  ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kirk_Allen

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That is too funny Harold.  Reminds me of a deer drive we did last year.  I sat on the edge of a woodlot and this yearlying came running out of the woods from the east and followed the fence line that meets the woodline I was in.  She followed the endge of that woodline all the way to me.  I could have poked here with the end of my barrel.  When she got right in front of me I yelled REAL LOUD, BOO :o

That poor deer had to have had a heart attack. She spun and broke the small (1") hackberry sapling RIGHT NEXT TO ME while trying to escape from this lunatic that just made here wet herself.  I never laughed so hard. 

I do the same things with squirals when I am in the tree stand. Its amazing to see how far they can jump when they have the doo doo scared out of the.

I cant imagine doing that to a person. Man, now I got to figure out how to do that to one of my neigbors, other than they are at least a mile away ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Cold crisp calm night, speaker aimed their way. Go lay out in the field near their house. They can't resist the racket that Woodpecker makes  ;) ;) :D :D

Scared a BIG Doe one time. Was sneakin across a field toward a 9 pointer. I was on all 4's, sneakin along, and this Doe stands up and looks my way. I drop immediately. She's starin, tryin to figger out what I am, in Camo. I raise my head to peek and she see's me. I drop. Give a minute and peek again. She's closing ground. I drop again. We do this scenario for about 70 yards. The grass is about 16'' high. Finally, I can hear her sneaking up. On cue, I jump up and scream.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Poor ole Gal was messin all over the field, AFTER she landed from the world record high jump.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  Nearly had a assident myself  ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Had a Squirrel in a tree, one time, that just could NOT shut up. (Female probly). It finally came down the tree I was sittin in, and came out on a limb, and sat, almost touching my arm. When I screamed at IT, the Squirrel ran out off the end of that limb and into wide open space. Looked like a Flying Squirrel when it soared away.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Forgot my Buddy was on the opposite side of the field, lining up a 12 yard shot on a 10 Point  ::) ::)  Oooops  :o  :D :D :D :D :D :D  He wasn't laffin when he came to see what my problem was.  ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

tnlogger

wal now I'll tell ya I dont know but I bet has the ups on ya for prideĀ  :D
first deer age 7

santa please i want a new gun
gene

Kirk_Allen

That is awsome.  I love seeing kids hunting with there folks.  After living in they city and puting up with anti hunting teachers I make it a mission to take kids hunting. 

I will never forget my boys first dear.  12 years old and he tagged a 8 point with a bow.  I have never seen him smile so much. 

My hats off to you Dad for taking that kid hunting!  I wish more fathers would do that.

tnlogger

kirk i showed this to my son and he is bringing eric up right hunting,fishing, and almost ready to work in the woods. That boys going to be a keeper for sure like his dad. makes me proud just to bearound um  ;D
gene

TimberGhost

Very fine looking buck there Kirk Congrats to ya!!

~TG~
~TG~

ARKANSAWYER

I raise white rabbits to eat and sell.   I have one ole buck that is pretty much a pet and as tame as one comes.   He will come when called and the dogs do not bother him out in the yard eating grass.   One fall a few years back the coyotes got bad thick and would sit on the pond dam below the house and yep half the night.   One afternoon I shut the mill down and picked up the .22 and Buck-a-bunny and went down the ridge.   Found a nice brushy spot to sit and I grabbed the bunny by the ears and he sounded off quite nice.  It was no time till a Willey E came up and I popped him.   About dark I got another.   We did this for several days in a row just moving around the ridge here on the farm.   One afternoon it was pert near 60 degrees and sunny so Buck-a-bunny and I were sit up for a pleasent afternoon of coyote busting.  Jerked the ears some and sit back to wait.   When I awoke it was way after dark with nothing but the stars over head.   I looked around and the white bunny was sitting about 10 yards a way eating the bark off of a small tree.   When I picked him up he sounded off which made the hair stand up on my neck.   I got him to shut up and we sneaked out of the woods.   Did not want Willey E coming up on me with no light and a hollering rabbit.
ARKANSAWYER

beenthere

Here are a couple younguns that showed up after the turkey's left. Not sure why all of a sudden these acorns are so tempting. Maybe the turkey found them and the deer somehow know now that they are there.

There are three in the picture, but one isn't so obvious.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!