iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any happy (or unhappy) owners on here of a Smith & Wesson M&P 15?

Started by Piston, June 01, 2013, 02:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

It seems there are a lot of gun owners on here so I'm hoping someone could give me some thoughts and opinions on a rifle I am thinking about buying. The rifle is a S&W M&P 15 MOE which was purchased in 2010 I believe. The owner is a good friend of mine and takes very good care of his equipment, so I have no concerns about who I'm buying from.

I don't shoot terribly often and sometimes go over a year without shooting, but do enjoy it when I get the chance. I would mostly use it as a target rifle and for plinking around the woods near my house. I have numerous rifles and a couple shotguns but only one small caliber, old, beat up .22. I think this would be a fun gun to shoot and now that ammo is a little more abundant I wouldn't have as much trouble finding it. Also included in the deal is 700 rounds of ammo to go along with it, and that would last me years with how often I shoot.

Does anyone else on here have experience with this rifle?  How do you like it?  Thanks in advance
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

Oops, thanks for moving the thread.  ;D  I wasn't sure where to put it.

Although I'm really looking for opinions on this specific rifle, I'm also curious to hear from any .223 owners in general, so feel free to chime in.  ;D

As I understand it, I'll have to make a few modifications to make the rifle MA compliant.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Chuck White

Not exactly positive that I know what rifle you're talking about, but I think it's an AR-15 of sorts.

They are a lot of fun to shoot, and there are a zillion accessories you can get for them.

They sometimes aren't really accurate "out of the box", but can be made accurate (tuned).

The 223 Rem. is a very good round and can produce exceptional accuracy.

Now, if Mass. doesn't come up with some stupid new laws that tie a lot of strings to the "assault rifles" you should have many years of fun with that rifle.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Piston

Chuck, I think you mean MORE stupid laws, we already have plenty! 

Your correct, it is an AR-15.  It has some Magpull accessories on it that are aftermarket.  I believe just about any rifle I get at this point would be more accurate than my abilities. 

I was looking at purchasing a nice .22 when my friend started talking about selling his AR, which got me more interested.  I then did some research and also read Doc's thread on  varmint rifles, and the more I look into the .223 the more I want one.  We have a pretty good deal worked out where I'm trading him some motorcycle stuff and a bit of cash for the rifle, so it's a win win for both of us.

I mostly just want to make sure I really want the rifle, and it's not just something I got excited about and spontaneously bought, before I purchase it.  Also, I like the idea of buying one PRIOR to any crazy new laws MA pushes through, in hopes that if I already owned one, I would be grandfathered in. 

Of course, if it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world for me.  I'm going to meet up with another friend who has an AR and shoot his before I make my decision....if I can wait that long  :D
-Matt

beenthere

QuoteNow, if Mass. doesn't come up with some stupid new laws that tie a lot of strings to the "assault rifles"

What "we" are about to see signed-on with the UN plans for controlling our guns, this one may for sure be off limits. Time will tell. For sure, MA has led the way on such brilliant moves.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Seaman

Any S&W product is great, .223 is a great caliber, 700 rd's of ammo is GREAT, don't see how you could go wrong on this!
I have a lot of time on AR's , you will enjoy this weapon! If your state get's crazy, you can store it at my house! ;D,..... no, really, I would be glad to hold it for you :D

You can go from up close to distance with this rifle and a good optic. My fav is EOTEC.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Piston

Well dang it!  I guess I should have waited to post this thread.  He told me last night that another friend of his is going to give him considerably more than I'm willing to pay for the rifle.  So as of now, I guess I'm SOL.   >:(

Unless by some miracle the other guy backs out, it looks like I won't be getting an AR for a while.  ARGH! 
-Matt

beenthere

Was the price asked the price he is getting? About $800 ??

Or are they now a lot more than that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

Supposedly he is getting 950 for the rifle.  I'm not sure though, I have to wonder if he started thinking that he was giving me too good of a deal on it and just wants a way to back out. 
I actually think we had a really fair deal going as I was giving him some equipment for partial trade that I "valued" at only half price, whereas the "value" of the rifle was pretty close to what he paid for it. 

Either way, he is a good friend and if he wants to sell it to someone else, or not sell it to me, then that is fine.  I've already been giving him a hard time about it (jokingly of course)  :D

I'm not sure if I want to look for another AR15, a different .223, or maybe just a .22 target pistol to have some fun with.  I'm thinking about a Ruger Mark 3 at the moment, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.  :D

I'd really like to find one used in good condition, but I have some gift cards to Bass Pro which is why I'll probably buy something new...from them.  This really just put a wrench in my plan, I really wish it worked out, oh well.....
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!