iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch-line Hook, ring type vs. sleeve type

Started by CuddleBugFirewood, March 22, 2013, 01:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuddleBugFirewood

I currently have a sleeve type hook that gathers up 3 ring type hooks on my mainline.  I was thinking about adding 2 more hooks to the mainline for my cable chokers as I am in a job with a lot of small trees and pulp wood.  The one thing I do not like about the ring type as their is no way to remove the choker as it has a roll pin that keeps the choker from slipping out.  Is there any advantage over one type or the other? I was thinking about replacing the ring type with a sleeve type when I add the other hooks. 

Thanks for the help!

lumberjack48

I only used the twitch ring slider with the the roll pin, theres nothing worse then having chokes fall out of slider when winching in.

If for some reason you want to be able to take the choker out of the slider, heres the sliders you want.

The ring style slide easier on the mainline then the sleeve style do.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

cutter88

Quote from: lumberjack48 on March 22, 2013, 02:09:53 PM
I only used the twitch ring slider with the the roll pin, theres nothing worse then having chokes fall out of slider when winching in.

If for some reason you want to be able to take the choker out of the slider, heres the sliders you want.

The ring style slide easier on the mainline then the sleeve style do.

I hate those twist bells chockers always jam in them... I use the ring type once u get used to the fact u cant unhook them from the main line they work good
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

CuddleBugFirewood

I have a "swing" grapple on my skidder, so I would was thinking it would be nice to take them off and only use them as needed.  Right now when backing up, my 8' long chokers will get run over by the tire, and the line sometimes gets pulled tight.  I tried welding some hooks to hang my chokers on, but seems they would still get tangled up in the logs when/if I would swing the boom around.  I tried running without the roll pins, but the chokers would come out, so I put the roll pins back in.   Nothing more frustrating having to rehook a choker. 

I think it would be $ smart for me to buy the two sleeve type, and then I will have 3 of each.  I was also going to drop down to 6' chokers too. 

The job is fairly flat, so most of it will be grapple work, but the ground is very very wet in the low areas, and may not dry out for a while it looks like.  So I may end up doing more choker work to stay on the skid trail.  We'll see.  Thanks for the input!

captain_crunch

Need a barrel slider like above to stop on knot at end of winch line
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

barbender

Weld a "keyhole" on the back of your machine, that you can loop the ends of your chokers up and insert into. I hope that makes sense. It just keeps the ends off of the ground when you're not using them.
Too many irons in the fire

thenorthman

Always used the twist in type, didn't even know about the pinned version until a few months ago,  I tend to have several different lengths of chokers handy, I pull anything from 4" tops to 48" saw logs on a pretty regular basis, so having just 6' or just 8' chokers doesn't really cut it.  Keep a few at the landing and a few wrapped up in the "trunk" of the skidder (or hanging off the fenders of the tractor way back when... (you know last October...).  With a grapple skidder I would imagine that you don't spend a whole bunch of time winching in logs, you could take the time to wrap em up after each use that way they don't swing around and get in the way but are still attached to the mainline.

Another thing is I don't know what size cable you're using for chokers but the smaller stuff tends to slip out of the twist in sliders a whole lot easier, using 9/16-5/8" chokers and they are a pain to remove when needed, but they will stay put come Hel or high water, the 1/2" stay in pretty good but come out easy, the 7/16-3/8" well they just hate me... but they work better on the small diameter stuff...
well that didn't work

lumberjack48

I looked at a few skidders with swing grapples, its hard to tell where the best place would be to hang them with out being there.
Stay with the roll pin sliders, looks like they could be hooked around the main boom and unhook as you use them, or around ether side of the frame that the top cylinder is hooked to. Or like barbender said, find a coupe places that are handy and cut keyhole slots to hang them up in. I had keyhole slots on both sides of the arch on a cable skidder, they were cut deep enough to hang six chokers on each side.
You can also use a big u-bolt, weld it on in the most piratical place, slip the bell of the choker on it, works good to hang up the chokers.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!