iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood tumbler

Started by timberjack 450, November 05, 2012, 06:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

Has anyone used a firewood tumbler and if so how well does it work? I am havig alot of debres in the truck from the processor.
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

OH logger

i have thought about this quite a lot lately as i am delivering my seasoned wood out of a pile. i have never used one and cant even think about buying one of the factory made ones for my little operation (160 cord). i like the idea of them but they are just too salty for me. i have thought of different ways to make one myself but haven't came up with anything great yet. i thought of a tray with pipes 2 or so inches apart at an angle leaning over the delivery truck(not great at explaining my hair brained ideas). almost like the table grate on my timberwolf splitter but bigger so a guy could dump it on there with the bobcat. sugar beet cleaning rollers are the best i got so far. i would like to however tumble the wood as i deliver it. i think i would do a better job when the wood is seasoned to get more bark, dirt, slivers, etc. i have not had any of my customers complain yet but i dont want that either.
john

timberjack 450

I did make a seperator like you are describing that attaches to the top of my elevator. It works good for seperating the junk out,but I have to stop quite often because the firewood gets jammed  in the gaps. I just got a hold of a fabricator that is building me the tumbler cylinder. It will be 4' in diamater and 10' long with 1 1/2" spacing. He is charging me $700 for the materials and $700 for the building. A friend of mine gave me a framework from an industrial furnace  that we can fab for the tumbler to sit on. I'm hoping I can build the whole thing for about $3000-$4000. If I can figure out how to post pics on here I will show the progress. I can't justify $14000 for a new tumbler. I only sell 200 cord a year.   
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor

timberjack 450

Oh Logger, how are the deer running? Ten of my friends are in Ohio right now on a bow hunt. Two of my other friends just got out to Illinois. I'm stuck home hunting alot smaller deer. Still gotta get the wood out.

North River Energy

OHL,
One could fabricate a tumbler from a retired bulk fuel tank with areas removed from the sides (replaced with rebar, pipes, rod, etc.).

Roll it on space saver spares on their respective stub axles, and drive the periphery with another tire, powered by a small gas engine or your processor hydraulics.

For a low cost infeed/outfeed separator, you might try a section or two of skate wheel conveyor.

A round tine rock bucket makes quick work of loading out of the pile.   Most, if not all, of the dirt will be left behind, and you can shake the loader to sift chips if necessary.

OH logger

i like your home ade tumbler idea. it sounds like it will work. the fuel tank might work too. i had a rock bucket when my pile was on stone. then i poured a concrete pad to pile wood on and sold the rock bucket. i would like to have it back . the only thing bad a bout the rock bucket wa sthat it scattered a little wood when loading it if some fell between the cracks. than you accidently run over the piece, jar the machine and your teeth and then spill more. but it would still be better than just a regular bucket.  the deer are hard to find right now. we are in farm country and there is a lot o f corn on yet. by this weekend they should be scattterd and all over the place getting hit on the road. i have heard that the deer heard is supposedly up this year from the bad kill last year
john

Thank You Sponsors!