iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nine inch post oak vers four inch white oak..

Started by Banjo picker, October 31, 2008, 09:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

If you had a 9 or 10 inch post oak about 10 feet from a 4 inch white oak (DBH) what would be the best thing from a dollar stand point to do???  Both trees have good form and a good crown..right now....The white oak is starting to need some room to do any real good, but the post oak is going good already....What are the usages of post oak, besides post and ties..??  Hey SD I been planting my butternuts that I got form Dogy in the 1/2 inch hardware cloth...knew if I didn't put in on them now I probably would not....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Lanier_Lurker

My dad keeps bugging me about whether I have any 3 or 4 inch caliper white oak.  He wants to slice it down into strips and weave baskets or something with it.

If you have anyone similarly inclined in that area you might be better off sacrificing the white oak.

It seems that the post oak is much further along in age and size compared to the white oak.  However, a comparison of growth rate, general desirability, and ultimate size between these two species will have to be provided by someone more knowledgeable than I.

Perhaps Dodgy or WDH will weigh in.

WDH

I do not believe that the lumber is distinguishable in the trade.  There are about 20 white oak species all told.  If you had a 100 years to wait, I would probably select the white oak over the post oak.  The white oak will grow faster, and the form will be better.  If I was looking at it strictly from a shorter term economic perspective, I would take advantage of the larger post oak since it will reach merchantable size sooner.

There is nothing wrong with post oak.  It is just not quite as good as white oak.  But it is twice the size at this point, and that would mean something to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Thanks that  sort of what i was thinking...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Lanier_Lurker

Banjo picker

I don't know any basket makers around here...I didn't even know baskets were made form white oak...but I guess they could be made out of a lot of things......In this instance I probably will leave the white oak at least for now, as it will have little effect of the larger post oak at this stage,, any thing can happen,  the post could get struck by lightening for all I know....My main concern was if the post needed to go,,,,so that not being the case, I probably leave both for now.....I know this was a relatively minor question, but I see  the same thing (or close to it)  mannnny times, and wanted a rule of thumb to use in the TSI....I have asked a forester that I know and trust to help me a little, but he has been sick and I don't know if he will get to it this year or not....I want the leaves on the tree for my benefit...when he comes....As I check out different areas I am glad to see a goodly number of white oaks in that 3_5 inch bracket that are in need of a little more sun....I can spend most of my free time this winter just releasing some of them....I was girdling a beech about 6 inches friday when I hit barbed wire...and I had the little mini boss cutting sooo good...Tim

Thank You Sponsors!