iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A differant class stick

Started by Sawyerfortyish, December 16, 2008, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Just got listing to bid on some timber scaled on doyle. The oak,maple,ash and hickory was scaled using  a doyle form class 78 stick but the popular was scaled using a doyle form class 80 stick. I understand the reason for differant class sticks. Trees don't grow the same in a fertile valley as they would on a rocky mountain top. How much differance is there between a form class 78 and a form class 80 stick? Say if I had a popular tree 18"dbh with 3-16' logs. How much differance in footage is there? (I don't have a form class 80 stick or I would compare this myself)

Jeff

If you play around with the tree volume calculator in the tool box, you can input your data with the different form classes to see the differences.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

I am not sure what you are asking. If they chose the correct form class, the bd ft should be accurate for that scale used, in this case Doyle.

From the USDA FS tables:

Form class is the percentage ratio between the diameter, inside bark, at the top of the first 16-foot log and the diameter outside bark at breast height (4 1/2 feet above the ground). For example, a tree with a first-log scaling diameter of 16 inches and a breast-high diameter of 20.0 inches has a form class of (16/20 * 100) or 80 percent.

So I guess the answer is 2 percent larger diameter. But it's not what the difference in form class, but did they use the correct forum class.    ???
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

woodtroll

Are you bidding on a sale? If so, wouldn't you scale it to what you think you can get out of the tree as opposed to the volume estimate?
It is good to know the method the cruiser used.

Sawyerfortyish

Thanks Jeff thats what I was looking for. There isn't much differance between the two and I understand why he scaled the popular that way most popular here grow tall and it's not uncommon to get 3 log trees. The differance between the form classes on a tree 18" dbh with three logs is 19 feet and thats no big deal to me. Most bids I have ever got was all on the same form class for a single class this is the first that used two form classes.
Woodtroll I'm going to look at the job but I just don't have time to scale it for myself. I usally look at the lay of the land distance of skid and other factors make a judgement call on the timber volume apply figures to the volumes and make adjustments in the bid price for what I see and feel it should be. If I get it OK if I don't oh well try again.

woodtroll

It's good that the cruiser let you know of the different form classes being used.

Thank You Sponsors!