iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

S10 grapple skidders are they any good ?

Started by logman81, May 04, 2014, 09:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Just wanted to know if they are a good skidder? Found one and wanted to know the ins and outs with them.
Precision Firewood & Logging

treeslayer2003

wish i had one. i like the last IH skidders.

logman81

Can any one give me info on them? The one I'm interested in has a 6 cyl cummins, 23.1x26 tires chains on all four, loaded front tires. Has a esco grapple and gearmatic winch but contrôlée needs to be rebuilt.

logman81

Do you think it would be a up grade from my 230 tj?

Reddog

Sorry I don't much about them.

The advice I can offer is to check on parts availability for any thing IH branded. Some transmission and torque converter parts are getting down right rare.
So it would make me wonder what axles are used and what parts are available there also.

With the motor being a Cummins that is easy enough.

logman81

From what I gather parts can be had on the later ones. Don't know to much about them but I've heard they were pretty tough skidders .

treeslayer2003

Quote from: logman81 on May 05, 2014, 11:34:28 AM
Do you think it would be a up grade from my 230 tj?
an s8 would be an upgrade.
i have never seen one with a cummins but you could put any engine in them. late models used a funk powershift driven by a jack shaft off the fly wheel. JD owns funk now. axles will be eaton or rockwell.
komatsu dealer should be able to get parts.

Dave Shepard

There were many engine options in the IH skidders. Detroits, as well as many D and DT series all the way up to the DT466. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logman81

This machine is a '83 model year so it probably is a funk power shift. I contacted the owner but have not heard back yet.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: logman81 on May 05, 2014, 06:16:56 PM
This machine is a '83 model year so it probably is a funk power shift. I contacted the owner but have not heard back yet.
send it to me  ;D it would look good next to my s8. 1980 model.

logman81

Can you tell me anything about the international skidders specific to  s10 treeslayer? Are they a good reliable skidder? I don't know much about them.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: logman81 on May 05, 2014, 07:15:24 PM
Can you tell me anything about the international skidders specific to  s10 treeslayer? Are they a good reliable skidder? I don't know much about them.
i can only assume the s10 is a bigger version of the s8. i have a s8, it has been a great machine. pulls much more than most like sized skidders. the gearmatic has been the worst thing about mine. having four skidders, i rotate the cable machines, if the gearmatic sits a few months new bands will be the cure.
the rest of it has been great. the 358 IH engine has been bullet proof. i do need a charge pump but it has many hours......i estimate over 10,000.

logman81

Yes the s10 is bigger then your s8. I'm wondering if this would be a good up grade from the 230d?

logman81

Finally got ahold of the guy he is going away on business but will be back by the weekend so I will get the details then. I'm the meantime if any one has any other info them please share.

logman81

Well I've got my jack for sale will see what happens!

Nemologger

I would be carefull about getting rid of that Jack. Every s-10 I ever saw had the transmission out of it.
Clean and Sober

logman81

Thanks nemo, I'm also considering one of the members timberjack 450 grapple skidder nothing set in stone yet.

barbender

How are you going to use a big grapple machine on the small thinnings that you cut?
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on May 07, 2014, 07:36:45 PM
How are you going to use a big grapple machine on the small thinnings that you cut?
Yeah a grapple will move more, but your going to smash alot more, and fuel. Mine drinks fuel. A grapple is really only efficient when grabbing a pile of stems at once, if your trying to grab 1+1+1 all over your going to wanna scream.

BargeMonkey

The machine your looking @ has 24.5's ?   Did the guy with the forwarder ever get back to you ? Yeah a grapples nice but takes some serious getting used to.

barbender

I guess I'm just confused-if you are looking at going with a forwarder because a cable skidder does too much damage, how is a grapple going to solve your problems? Anything the cable skidder gets you in trouble for, the grapple will much more. Just sayin'.

logman81

No the guy with the forwarder is taking to long. The grapple is a better solution for me. Not all of my jobs are small thinings. Some are clear cuts for horse pastures and house lots. I'm not worried about smashing some stuff. A good operator will keep that to a minimum I think. I've run grapple skidder many times before infact I ran a machine identical to the 450 when I was younger it was a friend on the family's. So I'm quite familiar with how to properly run grapple skidders. Sometimes you got to take a good deal when it comes along. All my competition is or is converting to grapple skidders around here almost all of the hand fell for a grapple machine.

logman81

Well I did the deal for the grapple skidder, thanks for your help guys!

treeslayer2003

you got the 450? i would love to have seen that s10.

logman81

Yup went with the 450, just trying to figure out trucking. Yes that s10 is nice to but can't beat inclosed can with heat.

Farmer Todd

Logman  missed your skidder on CL. Wish I didn't was it a private sale or did it go to a dealer. Thanks Todd

logman81

I am trading it for the the tj 450 grapple skidder. It's one the members on here's machine. Sorry you missed it!

logman81

Well it's official the new machine will be here on the 21st!

celliott

Well good for you, hope it works out!

Logman, do you go through pickup trucks like you do skidders?  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

logman81

Nope I've got a ford with the 7.3 diesel it will last forever! I would have kept this one but I was offered a deal that was to good to pass up!

jd540b

I've had good luck trading machines in the past.  Hopefully that good luck continues.... :)

logman81

logman81

here's the new machine I really like it and I'm very happy I went for it.

celliott

Does it have a winch too?
Orange looks good  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

logman81

It sure does, best skidder I've ever had.

logman81

I'm looking forward to using it more, it sure gets around good it the woods for a big skidder it's a keeper! More pics to come!

ehp

I'm sure you will like the 450 , I know I sure did and they do get around in the bush fast , your's is a real nice looking machine

logman81

ehp I like it a lot so far couldn't be happier with, it is a fast machine. I'm sure the more I run it the better I'll be with it . Yes it has been maintained very well and is in very good shape. I have to thank the forum as well, if it weren't for it it probably wouldn't have happened.

timberlinetree

Nice skidder! The cab looks big, does it have ac/heat, radio, coffee maker  :). Nice score! Work safe out there!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

jd540b

Logman, Glad you are happy with the Beast.  It is a good skidder. I am loving the 230 as well.  Nice to be back to roots cutting by hand with a small cable machine again.  Gone from that to feller buncher, grapple skidder, forwarder, hired help-back to just me, a couple of huskys and a small jd50d excavator to sort and pile.  Actually fun to cut wood again!!!

jd540b

barbender

logman81

Yes the cab is very spacious, it does have heat. No radio a CD player is on the list. Yup it's a good clean machine, very handy for cleaning up the job site. Jd540d I'm so glad that the machine working well for you it's another good one.

barbender

So, what engine/tranny combo does that have, logman?

Maine logger88

Jd540 what kind of log grapple do you have on your 50?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

logman81

Barbender it has a newly rebuilt 453T and a Clark power shift. I am amazed at how quiet it is.

jd540b

Mainelogger, it's a Valby grapple.  I bought it at MC Faulkners down in Buxton.  Super handy-couldn't imagine working without it.

timberlinetree

Jd540b the simple life is a good life! Glad both of you are happy with your skidders!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

Couldn't agree more simple is the way to go, it was a good deal.

barbender

I understand a turbo quiets a Detroit substantially. I am pretty confident my 353 wouldn't let you hear a radio even if I had a cab :D

logman81

That's probably why it is much quieter. It's like having stealth!

Maine logger88

Yeh its good too sneak up on unsuspecting trees

Maine logger88

Jd540 that sounds like a good setup do you do much excavating with your 50 as well?

Thank You Sponsors!