iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pruning by moon phase

Started by crtreedude, April 25, 2005, 12:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Believe it or not, it is considered common practice down here in Costa Rica to never prune unless it is at a certain phase of the moon.  It seems that if you cut it at a different time, you will get a lot of shoots, but doing at the right time, you don't get a lot of new growth, except where you want it.

I just had to ask, have you ever heard of such a thing?  ???

Not only did my manager say this, but a forestry engineer agreed!  :o

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Buzz-sawyer

Sure Fred
Around here you plant that way for gardening also........different phases for root and vining plants. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Same with working young animals. Bacon won't shrivel much, de-horning won't bleed much, etc., etc. I always try to go by the Moon. Sometimes howl at it.  ::) ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

I used to fish by moon phase, if I planned on catching anything. Of course, just running away to fish is good enough. 

Very interesting to say the least -  I have a crew coming in to prune this week, we either had to do it this week, or wait a month - which would probably hit right in the middle of the start of the rainy season.

Harold -  If I am correct, you are in the country now. What time of week are you dropping in?

Fred

Fla._Deadheader

Howdy Fred

I will be there Friday. Don't have the schedule for time yet. I will call you Jueves.  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Bien, Bien -  mucho madera muy interestante cortabamos - un ojoche muy grande, mas que un metro detras.

hasta viernas.

P.S. that will keep you busy with your spidey ring translator....

Fla._Deadheader

:) :)  Don't use the Translator much, anymore.  ;) ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Wenrich

Old timers use the almanac, which uses the moon phases as well.  But, they also had astrological signs with them  My grandmother said never to plant under the posey lady or you will just get flowers.  I believe posey lady was Virgo.

Anyways, here is a handy list for April and May:

http://www.almanac.com/astrology/index.php

Note:  best time to begin logging is April 28 or 29
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gary_C

We have a similiar tradition here in Minnesota. In the spring we only haul at night when the spring road postings are on or the DOT will be all over ya.  ;D

You don't even have to keep your log book up cause if you get caught, they will throw it at you. :D

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!