iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

production on stroke delimbers

Started by redneck logger, June 05, 2012, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck logger

OK guys here is  the deal i already asked about if it was possible to build your own stroke harvester head and no matter what you guys think i am going to gain more welding skills and save up a little more money over the some and at some point tackle the harvester head and just take my time and see what i can accomplish. Anyways what i am trying to get at is my cousin owns over 600 acres of wood lands in every stage from regrowth to spruce and fir that is  blown over so i was wondering if anyone has a rough idea as to was this harvesters get as far as production i figure there around 40 cords a day but that's just what i think so thanks guys for any input.  help_me
got to love working in the woods

Bobus2003

Well, How big of Stroke Delimber? I have a Patu 410SH (Kesla) on a Link Belt 1600 (16K lbs machine), Handles trees up too 18" and i can cut 2-3 loads a day at 10-12 cords per load..

As for my daily job I run a Timberline ST3530 Boom Delimber (60k lbs machine), and I can put up 8 Loads a day, average 5 loads a day (Best ever was a 10 load day but i was in Pumpkins, 24+ diam and straight 3-4 sticks)

Jamie_C

As much as i don't want to rain on your parade i would really suggest looking at buying an old Patu or Arbro stroke head instead of trying to build one. You need to do some very precise welding to get them to work correctly and to take the strain associated with delimbing trees. Plus add in the costs of buying valves, cylinders, hoses, delimbing knives, etc, etc, etc and you will quickly find yourself into a massive pile of money.

As for production, i am quite familiar with Pictou County and about the best you going to get with a BRAND NEW factory made stroke head installed on a proper carrier is about 1.5 cds per hour in ideal conditions. If you want 40cd per day production you better go buy a Tigercat carrier with a modern computer controlled roller head. I worked in different areas down there (Poplar Hill for one) and struggled at times to get 30 cds per day working my guts out and pushing the machine to its limits.

furltech

Yes around here as jamie said a cord and a half an hour is all i can get with my patu .I would also think it would cost way more to build one the to buy one used somewhere .

Corley5

I can get 10-15 cords per day in northern hardwood with my Risely Slingshot head on an EX150 Hitachi carrier. Those figures are rough and vary with terrain, timber size and breakdowns associated with an old machine.  Best I ever did was twenty cords but a percentage of that was aspen.  Building my own stroke delimber would be the very last thing I'd consider doing.  Find a good one to buy and go to work rather than spending LOTS of time and $$$$ building one and trying to get it right.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

furltech

On another note if you ever want to look at mine or try it out i am most always in pictou county ,right now i am doing a hardwood thinnning in west branch .

snowstorm

Quote from: furltech on June 06, 2012, 01:44:55 PM
On another note if you ever want to look at mine or try it out i am most always in pictou county ,right now i am doing a hardwood thinnning in west branch .
what head do you have and what is it mounted on? i have seen the vids on youtube they seemed to work pretty good but slow. how big a hardwood limb will it take off? will it limb hemlock? i have a 150 keto it has stood up real well. hw is dose fine hemlock it dosent like as well but it will do it

furltech

I have a patu 400sh mounted on a kubota kh28 .There is no doubt that they limb better than a roller head it is brutally strong but it severely lacks in production .also there is more uptime then a typical roller head .i have run both and they both have their place .It would be a good machine for a young fellow starting out  as it shouldn't kill him on repairs .I have recently started contracting out my harvesting because i could not keep my forwarder operator busy just myself .so now i forward in the morning until he gets there then i harvest or lay out block or do any of the other things i am behind on for the afternoon .it seems to be working out good .I might see if i can get a young fellow to come in and learn for the summer and run the harvester a few days a week or i might sell mine it is still a toss up .

Thank You Sponsors!