iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First small project

Started by Arcticmiller, October 03, 2019, 12:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcticmiller

Hey folks, am slowly getting the mill going " "properly" whatever that means. It can maintain a good cut, minimum of wandering/diving of the blade, I need to find the best way to set up my "ruler" for cutting material depth accurately... but I am kinda down to that as being one of my last major fixes for awhile. Here is my first mill based project- a playhouse for the kids.

Gotta provide a proof-of-concept for the usefulness on the homefront if ya catch my drift.

Live edge spruce siding, the frame I already had built from reclaimed lumber, but ran out once I hit the roof. I wasnt about to charter a plane ($3000 for just the plane) for 500 bucks in materials. The roof frame is home milled, entire roof is sheeted with 3/4 thick boards. Tar papered and visqueened til I get roofing in here this winter... will probably add a little more pitch to the roof before I secure it all down. I milled another front beam that's longer to add a swing set and climbing rope off one side.

The foundation skids run long out front for a little porch. Am a bit out of practice building stuff, but I think its turning out alright! Kids are exciting, wife is happy, life is good!

samandothers

Great first project to prove your the mill's usefulness!

Nebraska

I bought a metal magnetic ruler to augment the scale that was on my mill. Of course it sounds like getting the little brown Santa Claus truck to drop it off might be well ...challenging. Where in the great white North are you located?  Welcome to the fold btw.

Arcticmiller

Hey Nebraska, I am in Alaska north of the arctic circle at the base of the Brooks mountain range. Beautiful country, but spindly little trees compared to NE Washington where I grew up.

I toyed with the magnetic rule idea, but have a couple issues I cant get past. Since it's a home built two post mill I have nowhere to stick one without the rails that guide the horizontal ibeam rubbing them off. I eventually will likely cut off the guide system and redesign it. First have some projects to complete tho. Smokehouse then a sauna are next up once this is finished out.

starmac

Are you anywhere close to the Dawson?
Fly in only or can you get there in a vehicle?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

SawyerTed

I like the siding.  Great job on the proof of concept!  

Some "sawmill investors" need to see first hand the usefulness of the machine.  My primary "investor" is getting a camper shed aka a place to part her "playhouse."

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!