iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Wood-Mizer BMST50

Started by JHEPP08, April 21, 2015, 11:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHEPP08

Looking into buying The Wood-Mizer BMST50 sharpener/setter. Would like to hear from someone that has it
Thanks
Woodmizer LT15

MartyParsons

Hello,
We have the BMST50 set up in the shop. We will have it operating this weekend. The 5" CBN wheel works well. I cant tell you much because I have my son Nick and Chelsea doing the presentation on it. Rich who runs the larger machines also trained them. It has been great to delegate some of the responsibility to them. If you have specific questions I will get you some answers. They were working to see if setting the blade first then sharpening the blade worked or a sharpen then set. I think the last time I asked them they were doing the sharpen then set.
If you would like I will take a short video and send it to you. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

JHEPP08

Great thank you! I have a lt15 I wasn't for sure which grinding wheels to get etc. I plan on ordering 1 soon.
Thanks
Woodmizer LT15

Ribsy

Hi Marty, I would like a follow up on your post, if possible and a video too. May be asking to much, but I am very close to buying one and really want to know if this purchase will be proper for my needs. Thanks.
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

CharlieA

Well, looks like I just pulled the trigger and bought one.  I will let you know how it works. 
Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick 2.

JHEPP08

Great ! Can't wait to hear. It's nice to hear from a consumer not just the seller lol
Woodmizer LT15

Ribsy

Me too, Charlie. Delivered today. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get it set up and running. I suspect it will be slow as it is manual, but my hopes are that it will give me more control and a viable option to resharp, which I may continue to use depending on circumstance.
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

CharlieA

Mine should land on Friday.  I have to go get it at the depot in town, I'm too rural for mail.  ;)  I will set it up and give 'er a whirl and report back.  I am not worried about it taking time.  I can make time for sharp blades.  My desire is quality, not quantity.  Plus, I may just have to teach my oldest about pullin' levers, lol.

JHEPP08

Can't wait to hear how it work!
Woodmizer LT15

prittgers

I used the BMST50 at the WM showroom in Indiana.  For a simple unit, it's fast and pretty fool-proof.  Just remember to give the blade a 'double tap'.  In other words, one grind stroke as needed, then another very short 'tap'.  This machine is perfect for the small operator. 

Parker - the Woodmizer and BevelSider guy for Alaska
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

octam1

I've used one also, if you do not have alot of blades to sharpen it will do a really good job of sharpening and setting... Make sure to index the blade right, take light cuts and do the double grind as stated above... The biggest thing will be having to measure your set with vernier calipers, but once you have it adjusted the way you want it, its just a matter of being consistant and taking your time.

This machine is well built and works well for those that do not need to sharpen 40 blades in a day, we will end up getting one to keep in the truck to tale on mobile jobs where we stay all week... Many of our jobs are reclaimed timbers and sometimes we go thru 25 blades in a day... Maybe someday we wont have to take 15 full boxes of sharp blades to a week long job! Lol and that aint no joke!

All in all its a great machine for someone that doesn't have to sharpen many boxes of blades at one time! Its very easy to use and as stated above, being a CBN profile grinder it's pretty fool proof once you get going with it... 😎
KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

JHEPP08

Great input. I fig I could sharpen a few a week as I go was my thought I only have like 40
Blades total
Woodmizer LT15

octam1

Best advise i can give is take your time with it and dont use cheap oil for cooling, use good grinding oil or you'll end up stripping the grit off of the cbn wheel and at $200 bucks that really sux! Lol... Dont ask how we know...
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

JHEPP08

How did you guys decide what wheel to get? I'm not sure on how to measure the blades I have so I get the correct grinding wheel
Woodmizer LT15

octam1

You are going to have to get a wheel for each profile of blade you are using. Whatever you use the most of is where I would start 😀

WoodMizer has a profile/pitch tool that you can use to easily identify what blade is what, it's a metal ring that has the matching blade profile on five sides I believe, it's about $20 and you just put it next to a blade and match the profile, it has markings on it for what profile it is... Pretty simple really... If you would like the p/n for it I can post it, just gotta find it really quick... I'll try to post a picture of it in a little while...

Don't forget to order some grinding oil with it so u don't toast a wheel! They xpensive!

As far as what blade profile you have, you can log into your online WM acc and see what you have purchased.
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

prittgers

JHEPP08 from Rockwell City.  I am wondering with all the tornado activity, especially around Lake City, IA if you're going to be doing a lot more sawing?  We have some 15 year old walnut from Johnston which is a reminder of a tornado at our family farm in 1999. 

Sure is nice to have a blade grinder here.  I went through 10 blades in the last 2 days doing a re-saw job.  But they will be sharp as new by tomorrow!
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

JHEPP08

Oh ok I'll get a gauge deal. I bought the mill with some blades then have bought some since so it's hard telling what I have..

Unfortunately most the wood got cut up for fire wood since there was a small army of people helping out most the trees were either way to big or on someone's house . I'm sure I'll find some tho ! Are you in Alaska or Johnston ?
Woodmizer LT15

octam1

Blade gauge is WM P/N 065691 and the cost on it is $15... Its handy if you have a bunch of different blade profiles... It has 4,7,9,10&13 degree on it if i remember correctly... It does not have the Turbo7 on it but that one is pretty easy to spot as the gullet is much deeper than the others...
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

drobertson

" I went through 10 blades in the last 2 days doing a re-saw job.  But they will be sharp as new by tomorrow!"
This seems like a pile of blades! 

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CharlieA

OK.  So I built a table for the unit and set it up.  In general, it's a pretty good unit.  A little finicky upon initial setup, but once you understand the dynamics, it comes together pretty well.

Its built solidly, tracks the blades through well enough.  The setting feature takes a bit to get set up as well.

The one, and very big drawback of this unit is that it spills oil where the setting handle cutout is located on the catch pan.  They didn't need to cut so much out to accommodate the movement of the handle.  You can somewhat mitigate this by choking off the oil supply, but I'm not a fan of that.  What I will do in the interim is snap one of the magnets in half and sort of dam that area. As for a long term fix, I will probably fabricate a piece to replace the magnet "fix."

Surprisingly, it's much quicker than I had initially thought. I kind of like the manual action, gives me a workout. ;)

I sharpened and set 3 blades, and I am happy with them.  Hard not to like CBN sharpening.  I would recommend this, the only caveat is the oil spillage.  Hopefully they wil address this in later revisions.

JHEPP08

Could you post pictures? Could you put a drip pan of sorts under it? Then put spilled oil back in machine?

Great input! Next paycheck I'm going to bite the bullet an get 1. I got a lot of cutting to do !
Woodmizer LT15

CharlieA

So as you can see from the above pic, the drain pan is about an inch high.  Works well at this depth.

Above is the cutout on the left, 5/8", again, decent for full flow.

Problem lies above, with the setter handle cutout.  5/16"  Even with the handle fully depressed you don't need more than 3/8" (that's plenty of clearance) removed from the original depth.  5/16" is not a suitable depth for an oil pan.  Woodmizer, take note.

Cartwright

Just wondering how these grinders are doing. Thinking of getting one so a update would be greatly appreciated!!  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Eg 200 twin blade edger 25hp gas
Volvo L30 compact  wheel loader
Ford CL65 skid steer
'09 F250 Super Duty Powerstroke 
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

Cartwright

Guess nobody else using these grinders anymore or they don't have anything good to say about them!  :(
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Ford CL65 skid steer
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

barbender

People have asked questions on here about them several times, but I don't remember seeing any feedback from anyone that actually has one. They look like a solid, simple unit for low volume blade maintenance.
Too many irons in the fire

Cartwright

Barbender, that's what I thought but some feedback from someone who actually uses one would be nice! I could sit down and sharpen blades on a rainy day or Saturday but knowing any issue's with it beforehand would be a real plus!!  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Ford CL65 skid steer
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

landscraper

I responded to a thread about turbo 7 blades/bmt50 sharpener earlier.

I have no regrets about buying my bmt50.  I use it regularly, it works well, and was a good fit for the scale of my operation.  It took a little bit of "thinkering" (adjusting and contemplating) to get it set up right, but now it consistently makes sharp blades that cut fast and straight.  I fixed the drain/spillage issue by putting blocks under the front legs of the table to which it is mounted to incline the sharpener a tad.  I use mineral oil, and I wear gloves while sharpening, it's a little messy.

Quote from: landscraper on May 19, 2019, 10:41:08 PM
Quote from: Cartwright on May 18, 2019, 09:33:31 PM
Landscaper, how do you like that BMT50?

All in all I like it just fine.  A step up from my old drag sharpener.  The sharpening part is a piece of cake, just get your stroke length dialed in and you will get a good face/gullet/back grind.   The setter is ..... finicky.  Once you get close to your set amount be careful with your adjustments - very easy to get overset by a small turn of the Allen wrench.  I also had to fiddle with the grind motor mounts to get the grind wheel and setter points to both line up simultaneously.

I keep 40-50 turbo 7 blades in rotation, very nice to be able to sharpen on my schedule.  That cbn wheel will put a wicked edge on a blade, I love to hear a sharp blade slice through oak.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Cartwright

Sorry landscraper, I must have missed your reply back in May. I like the "hands on" idea of the bmst50 so I can see what's going on. I to have about 50 or so saws in rotation and like the fact of sharpening on my schedule but was concerned about how this grinder was preforming. Thanks for your input on it. It's greatly appreciated!!  ;) ;D
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Ford CL65 skid steer
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

Outlaw

I bought one used four months ago and have very little time on it.  On my limited experience on it I'm just now feeling capable of producing a good sharp straight cutting blade.  It works well for a hobby guy that only sharpens on occasion.  Takes some time to figure out but I imagine you'll have that with any grinder. Its manual but not labor intensive. I have no regrets. Hope this helps.  
TK 1600, old logging equipment,  sthil chainsaws

Cartwright

Appreciate it there Outlaw!  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT50HDD47-RA
Ford CL65 skid steer
Stihl ms391, 390, 029

Thank You Sponsors!