iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else collect old woodworking tools?

Started by osage outlaw, January 25, 2018, 08:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

osage outlaw

I enjoy collecting old draw knives, hatchets, axes, and splitting wedges.   I use these tools often while making wood longbows.  I probably use a draw knife the most.  I am always on the lookout for reasonably priced additions to my collection.  A friend made me some replacement draw knife handles.  I want to restore some of them so that they can be used again.  There's something cool about using a tool that is over 100  years old and still works as good as the day it was made.  I plan on making a lot of ax and hatchet handles when I get some extra time.  I made one with a hole in the middle.  I want to make some more like that. 

Please excuse my messy workshop.  I am in desperate need of a larger work area where I can display them better.

My bucket o' wedges that I use to split logs

Another bucket of hatchets and axes needing handles

Brian_Weekley

Bruuuuuce!  Sorry, I saw him peaking out from behind the box.   :D

That's a lot of drawknives!
e aho laula

osage outlaw

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on January 25, 2018, 08:22:21 PM
Bruuuuuce!  Sorry, I saw him peaking out from behind the box.   :D

That's a lot of drawknives!

Good eye.  I have album covers hanging on the wall behind my workbench.  Mostly classic rock.

thecfarm

Messy shop? All I saw was a bunch of old tools hanging on the walls.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

Nice collection. If you wear all of those out making bows, you should be short of trees around you :) I can half way make a tomahawk handle but no way an axe handle. That bucket of heads would still be there after I would be gone.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Kbeitz

Love old tools... To many pictures to post...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

opticsguy

Along with my collection of North american tools I have also quite a collection of tools made in china.  Old tools, mostly planes, hand made as purchasing a tool was basically impossible for people living in small villages where I purchased most of mine.  On my last visit to China, I often found tools harder to find as local craftsmen had converted to power tools.  Often I would find the older wooden planes no longer in use were burned for heating and cooking........
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

JV

I started collecting years ago with struck my fancy.  One of my favorites is a treadle lathe.

One unusual item is a teaching model of an early gas engine made in Germany for colleges of the day.

Sorry for the lousy cell phone photos.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Kbeitz

Guess my favorite is old electrical tools...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JV

Oops, got sidetracked.  Here is the lathe.

<br
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

tree-farmer

I have a collection of broad axes, foot adzes, 6 or 8 of each. Draw knives , cross ct saws etc. The old ones with handles worn to hands long gone are a treasure, to me a least. A few a family heirlooms.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Thank You Sponsors!