iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain saw operation in rain

Started by tstex, March 03, 2017, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Hello to All,

Doing a volunteer project this Saturday clearing out sm trees and other, The rain chances are 70-80% for .25 - .5" of rain.  Are there any precautions or things to consider when operating your chainsaw if it raining lightly?  If it starts raining hard, we'll stop for the time.  Also, won't wk at all if it's muddy or loose footing, which should not be the case at all.

Thank you,
tstex

Farmerjw

The rain doesn't bother me as much as the lack of footing and slippery components.  Be careful, it is dangerous enough without foul weather and a lot of people "helping".
Premier Bovine Scatologist

ButchC

Mechanically? no but cutting in rain is not fun, it is misery and that in itself can lead to a person doing things that lead to accidents, be careful.  If your into the utmost of safety garb and wear a helmet with face shielding then an additional concern could be lack of vision. Hopefully the phone will ring and project cancelled due to weather ;D
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

bluthum

As mentioned the hazards increase in the rain but I really, really dislike using a chainsaw around other folks. X2 if they are rookies. They typically don't understand you don't have to be close to the sawyer to get hurt.

rick carpenter

I'd say get fully wet first so you're not subconsciously trying to keep from getting wetter as you're cutting. Make sure you can see well too.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Al_Smith

Rain,go in the house,it will stop some time .The record as far as I know is 40 days and 40 nights .

tstex

Hey guys,

It was a week ago today that we did our project.  We started at 730am [after an hr of driving and setting up first].  I had rented a 6" wood chipper and billy goat brush cutter, so I needed to use the chainsaws to feed the wood chipper.  It started raining at 230, so we stopped - it wasn't a heavy rain, but we had cleared 1.8 of 2.2 acres.  We are going back April 12-13...Yaupons should be grown out enough that we can hit w herbicide for rd one.

Thanks again for your comments, tstex

Bricklayer51

I go by the blocklayers golden rule the first drop is gods fault second one is mine.

tstex

Hey Brick...thanks for the reply but I think you are one-post off  :D

Anyway, I get the point...did it once, won't do it again...

Thank You Sponsors!