iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Vendor in Winchester, Virginia, Area?

Started by Iron Cross Junction, November 14, 2013, 01:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Cross Junction

New guy here, so be gentle.   :)

As I told the admin folks in my registration app ... "We recently relocated from ultra-urban downtown Atlanta to rural top of Virginia.  What we know about forestry would fit into a thimble!  Yet we have a few acres of woods, mostly young hardwoods, and are looking to acquire an adjoining tract.  So, hoping to learn a bit about how to keep those trees healthy over the long haul.  In candor, landed on this website looking for local firewood vendors!"

Eventually, hope to get our own.  Lord knows, that we could stay busy 24/7 just picking up deadfall.  'Til then, however, need to buy wood. 

Did read the Virginia DOF info here,  http://www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/firewood.htm

So, any suggestions?  Was surprised not to see many on my web search, and the craigslist items were sparse or unappealing.

If this is not the place to ask this sort of thing, apologies.

Bill

beenthere

Bill
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Any specific questions, or just info in general?

You have found a good forum to get info, and we look forward to hearing more about your new digs.

We like pics and that helps us zero in better how we might help you out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Iron Cross Junction

Quote from: beenthere on November 14, 2013, 03:24:48 PM
Bill
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Any specific questions, or just info in general?

You have found a good forum to get info, and we look forward to hearing more about your new digs.

We like pics and that helps us zero in better how we might help you out.

Thank you.

Will post pix and seek counsel in due course, but will wander around here first before I ask (too many especially) stupid questions.  I am a FF on a motorcycle board and do not wish to jump in as some do there with "Stop everything; I have important questions!" even tho, of course, we do.   ::)

BTW, notwithstanding my downtown Atlanta intro (which was true), I spent every weekend I could in the Driftless area of SW Wisconsin from June 2011 - June 2013.  I recently retired but for last two years, as result of a job move, lived as geo-bachelor in NW Illinois.  Previously, I had only seen that part of the world from 33K feet, and I was awestruck by the beauty of SW Wisconsin.  I think I rode every "alphabet road" several times.  Miss it already, tho the "top of Virginia" is lovely and we will, I think, always be content here.

Enough.  Thanks.

OBTW, may have found a firewood guy, tho the first delivery, Sunday, may confirm or toss that out.

Bill

thecfarm

Iron Cross Junction,just want to welcome you to the forum.Ask away and we will help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdonovan

Can't help you with this year wood... but if you're willing to put in some sweat equity, I've got a place I'm putting in a road, and clearing a building site, and have more wood than I can use. I'm about 45-60 min away down in Fauquier.

If have a way to haul it home and will put some time cutting/loading I can set you up for $0 out of pocket.

Thank You Sponsors!