iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar for fence posts good use of the wood?

Started by Dana, January 04, 2006, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

Now that winter has arrived, I have been cutting some northern white cedar for fence posts.  I got to wondering today if I might be putting a lot of good money in the ground next spring when I drill the post holes. The trees I use for post are mostly dead and in excellent condition a few are live and being removed because they are leaning. (wind damage) The trees I use for posts are 8 to 10" d.b.h.  They are 20 - 30' tall. I cut them into 7'6" post.  What are these trees worth for other uses? Since they are mostly dead is this the best use?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

wiam

I do use a fair amount of white cedar for fence post.  Locally I can get $190 - $325/ mbf for it, depending on grade.  Local mills do not seem to mind if it is dead, as long as it is sound.  In my experience it takes quite a while for white cedar to go bad in the log.

Will

Ron Scott

That's probably the best use for them as cedar posts are often in demand.
~Ron

Greg

Quote from: Ron Scott on January 04, 2006, 07:43:09 PM
That's probably the best use for them as cedar posts are often in demand.

Their is a good sized amish run business just east of Cincinnati that takes red cedar and mills them into an attractive mailibox post and shelf.

Here's a link on white cedar vs. red cedar. Similar rot resistant, white is weaker than red.

Long link,cut & spliced by handy admin
Greg

Cedarman

There is rather huge market for peeled white cedar posts for the rustic furniture business.  You can advertise in the rustic furniture magazines or call the companies that make the small post peelers.  They can get you in touch with the people that need cedar posts.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Frank_Pender

Cedarman, whereabouts do I find out about such publications?
Frank Pender

Dana

Good question Frank. I cut the trees into fence post until they get to be about 4" dia then they get cut up for firewood in the outside wood burner. I bet that is just the size the furniture builders want. Cedarman what is a ballpark on the going rate for such sizes? what lenghts do they use?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Cedarman

The big sellers for us is a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 x 8 feet long. I sell them unpeeled for $2.00 in quantity (50) or more.  The 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 I sell for $2.50.
Peeled, I usually add $1.00 to $2.00 depending on the specifications. These are the ones with a lot of sapwood.  The ones that are almost red to the bark we sell as fence posts for $2.50 each.

Frank,  Dyna Products makes the post and rail processor.  I just spoke to a nice lady there.  Their number is 1 888 820 3962.  They are out of Evart, Mi.

You could call them and order a catalog.

Frank_Pender

Thank you.  I will call this morning.   ;D
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

Yes, get a listing of all the demensions for cedar post & pole products. There are small demension sizes also.
~Ron

Max sawdust

Dana,
Rustic furniture if they are smaller, $1 a foot with a rough peeling. the more crooked the branches the better.

Sauna building ;D 
White cedar is the best.  Logs for the structure, lumber for the benches 8) 

See the thing is the white cedar does not get hot or uncomfortable to sit on in the sauna ;D No pitch to run out either, like in the pines and spruce.

Lumber makes good pier decking too since it does not rot to quick.

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

We used to cut alot of rails down to 4 inch top. The market now is for sawlogs, and cedar shinglewood to a lesser extent. I see alot of nice cedar wasted on crown land, the licensees don't saw it and there is too much volume that easily floods the market.  ::) Many cedar mills have gone the way of the dodo bird over the years. But, none-the-less I've never seen a fence that didn't use white cedar unless it's those iron rod fences. Everybody with a sizeable woodlot always had cedar for their fences, the property lines were all lined with rail fencing one time. For sure there are areas of New Brunswick that cedar is a scares commodity and even in my area they have been targets to clearcut contractors. Cedar is slow growing, but I'll take it over fir any day because it does alot better on wetter ground, even though fir germinates on those sites as thick as dog hair.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

macpower

Twenty five years ago I did a good business with white cedar fence posts. All the lumber tards and home centers cried for them. I even had a market for the tops, down to 1 1/2 - 2 inches six feet or longer for "clothes poles".  They where used to prop up the clothes lines in the middle.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

robotguy

i have heard of a machine that *peels * the log & it looks like it is done by hand . does any one have any info on that . i have seen the type that fits on the back of a tractor & works off the p.t.o.  i am interested in getting the *peeled * look & not the *turned* look where you can tell the log was de-barked & leaving turning scars . thanks robotguy

Max sawdust

Quote from: robotguy on January 07, 2006, 11:22:13 PM
i have heard of a machine that *peels * the log & it looks like it is done by hand . does any one have any info on that . i have seen the type that fits on the back of a tractor & works off the p.t.o.  i am interested in getting the *peeled * look & not the *turned* look where you can tell the log was de-barked & leaving turning scars . thanks robotguy

First off, I do not know of a machine to give the hand peeled look.  ::) Sorry hopfully some one else does.

What are your intentions?  Selling peeled logs or making things?

I guess I am doubtfull any machine can look like hand peeled with a drawknife.  Knock the bark off with a spud then use large heavy drawknife for peeling.  Cedar peels like a knife through butter :)

I see very few new drawknifes that are large and heavy enough to make the work fun. 

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

Let the cedar sit a year and the bark will slip right off as slick and snot.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

Spring cut trees peel very quick.  Fall and winter cut trees have the bark glued on.  Takes a pressure washer to peel and is still a chore. When the customer calls on Friday and wants them on Monday, oh well, no luxury of waiting.  One company that buys ours lets them dry a little and then sands them smooth.  You can see one batch at Wolflake Lodge in Williamsburg Va.

We use what is called a German peeler.  It gives a good peel, but you can still see some machine marks.  Morbark has a good peeler.  I have seen some white cedar that looked pretty good out of their peeler.

Thank You Sponsors!