iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

walnut cherry

Started by bhub, June 30, 2005, 10:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhub

How long can walnut and cherry logs be left before sawing? I have heard that leaving walnut for a year
will turn the sap wood dark. Is it best to cover the logs or what?? Thanks

Tom

Age will darken most boards.  I've not experienced it in log form.  Usually the sap deteriorates with time.

I understand that Walnut is "Steamed" to darken the sapwood.  You might get some good answers from  Den Socling or Don Lewis in the Drying topic.   We have some members who are fairly "up" on stuff like that too.  But, I mention these two since they manufacture kilns.

ohsoloco

I'd saw 'em as soon as possible.  That being said, this past fall I milled up some walnut that I had lying around in the yard for at least a year and a half  ::)  As I recall, the sapwood was not that much darker than a fresh log...there was still a nice contrast (I like sapwood in certain parts of furniture).  I lost a couple feet from one of the walnuts cuz it was trying to split in half  :(

They also debarked themselves as I was rolling them from their parking spot  :D

Buzz-sawyer

Maybe they meant in a year the sap wood will rot off .then all ya have left is dark :D :D
I have not knowm it to be the case.....................its either white or rotted off. ;)
Buzz
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Part_Timer

I cut some cherry off of a dozer pile that was a year and half down.  lost a bit off of the out side and had to cut a couple of feet off of the ends but was real nice inside.  Well worth the effort.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

meazlejr

I am new here but really like this forum.  I just had a question answered that I dinot even have to ask.  I have acess to a couple of 16' x16" cherrry log that have been sitting for a little over a year.  Didn't know if it would be worth messing with.  Thanks guys.
Joe

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bibbyman

Quote from: meazlejr on July 01, 2005, 12:59:17 PM
I am new here but really like this forum.  I just had a question answered that I dinot even have to ask.  I have acess to a couple of 16' x16" cherrry log that have been sitting for a little over a year.  Didn't know if it would be worth messing with.  Thanks guys.
Joe

Cheery and walnut cut for over a year will still produce good lumber.  Maybe not as much.  If walnnut were cut in the spring and the bark has loosened and fallen off,  then the log tends to dry out and crack open along the outside of the log.  I've seen the cracks go an inch or better deep.   The sap wood on cheery will go pretty quick.  So that may be a loss.  If there is some extra length,  then trim the ends a couple of inches.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!