iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 550

Started by MrMoo, October 22, 2016, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

Hi Folks,
I have a line on a used Husky 550. The saw is like new and the price is ok. My concern is the fuel for the machine since it auto adjusts the carburetor.
If anyone here owns a Husky 550 can you chime in and tell me what you are running for fuel?

I generally by high octane gas with ethanol. Before filling the tank I put Blue Stabil in at the long term storage dose. I then mix Lucas 2-cycle oil at about 38 to 1. This mix has worked for me for many years so I feel good with it.
Moo

John Mc

If you can get ethanol-free in your area, I'd burn that, but other than that, I'd just keep doing what you have been doing.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DonT

I have a 550xp that is about a month old and it is a great little saw. I run all my says at 45-1 with premium gas with no ethanol.I also only buy gas from a pump that is dedicated to high test.I really do not want a hose full of someones low test ethanol laden fuel. 

hopm

ethanol free.....cost more and saves you MUCH MORE than the cost

John Mc

Quote from: DonT on October 22, 2016, 11:31:31 PM
I run all my says at 45-1 with premium gas with no ethanol.I also only buy gas from a pump that is dedicated to high test.I really do not want a hose full of someones low test ethanol laden fuel.

If I run into a multi-fuel pump, I clean ut what's in the hose by pumping a couple of gallons of non-ethanol premium into my car first, then fill my 5 gallon can.  Really, for a 5 gallon can the amount of ethanol is so slight that it's highly unlikely to be a problem. I might be more concerned if I were filling a 1 gallon can.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MrMoo

Thanks to everyone for their response.

I am not sure why you would worry more about a 1 gallon gas can vs 5 gallon they still have 10% ethanol.

I think I am going to grab the 550. I have a 26 year old Husky 51 and I feel it is time to replace it. These days it is my limbing and kindling saw. It has seen lots of use.

John Mc

Quote from: MrMoo on October 24, 2016, 04:04:07 PM
I am not sure why you would worry more about a 1 gallon gas can vs 5 gallon they still have 10% ethanol.

We are talking about flushing out the little bit of E10 gas which may be left in the filler hose & plumbing of a multifuel pump when I'm filling my can with E0 gas. That small amount of E10 is a higher percentage of the total when I'm filling a 1 gallon can than when I'm filling a 5 gallon can.

I have no idea what that actual volume "in the plumbing" amounts to. I'm betting it's insignificant when mixed with a full 5 gallons of E0 gas. (It may well be also be insignificant mixed in 1 gallon). Personally, I don't mind buying a couple extra gallons of E0 and putting it in my car. I'm just glad that some stations in my area go to the effort of getting E0 gas in the first place.

Thank You Sponsors!