iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ Fieldays 2003 - Peterson, and Lucas Add-on!

Started by KiwiCharlie, June 11, 2003, 01:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,
Went down to the National Fieldays today.  Saw these 2 beauties!  First up, the Peterson Automated Swing Blade Mill.  A really nice unit, and Im sure they will do well with this one.  Just push the lever, and the unit heads away for the first cut, flick a switch and the saw head rotates 90deg, and bring the unit back.  Swish!  Not sure if you have it already in the US, but first time Ive seen it.  One motor to drive the blade unit, and a small motor to drive the movements, by the look of it.

Next up is a great new prototype seen on a Lucas Slabber setup.  This allows you to shape a log, by spinning it after each cut, into a great looking 6 sided pole, in this case.  The end product looked great!  They have called it the Rot8r !  Nice touch!  You step on the left side of the unit, to pull down the pin, and use a lever to turn the log, ready for the next cut.  Cool!

If anyone wants larger pics, just email me!  I have them in 1024x768 beautiful hi-res!
Cheers
Charlie.  :)
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Ianab

Dang... Charlie got home with photos before me....
So I wont double up on the shots he's posted, and what he says is about right. That new Peterson really flys through the log.
He's a pic of it running and I've got a few closeups of it as well if anyone wants (control panel etc )

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Haytrader

Haytrader

Ianab

OK.... picture time
Side view of the motor and blade (in horizontal position)
24 hp Honda engine

This Pic shows the centre support of the Hi Rail lifted up to allow the next log to be rolled into place, only takes seconds to lift and replace this support

The big Clock indicator, that sets and measures horizontal movement of the sawhead. There are microswitches on the dial that stop the blade in the correct position for the next cut

This little motor drives the carriage back and foward, the control lever is the vertical lever you can see in this shot

Main controls, buttons for up/down, left/right, blade swing and panic button

and finally...
This shows lift motor and the umbillical cables to it and the carriage

Phew... thats a bit of a marathon.. hope you enjoy folks
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

Thanks for the pics from New Zealand ;D

In talking to the folks from Peterson, they are very, very exited about this creation.  I have seen some pictures and video, but that is the only way to see one in the US right now.  I'll be anxious to see one when they begin to arrive here in the states, maybe for Nelsonville....????

Captain

KiwiCharlie

Hey lanab,
We were probably standing side by side, and never even knew!!  :o :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Vermonter

Very impressive machine, that ASM.  I've seen a bit too, can't wait to run one.
The "pony" motor is either a Honda or Kohler, depending on whether it is a 24hp or 27Kohler.  Chris Browne said they drew lots of attention at their field day.  Takes the manual out of it, but keeps all the swing blade benefits.  Probably would work great with their slabber also.
Andy
www.petersonmills.com
New homestead

KiwiJake

Andy, I'll post some photo's of the dedicated slabber in the main drive unit cutting a giant makro from the show, thats my ugly mug in the dial picture. The ASM ended up winning an award too.

KiwiJake

Finally got time to have a look at the photo's (or should I say photo) of the automated dedicated slabber. Didn't come out anything like I expected. I don't think the photographer new how to use the digital camera, oh well.

But check these photo's out... some guy wants to but a Peterson to mill these logs! Some of them are 10-15 meters WIDE. Most of them average 3 meters wide. Thats an oversized log!! :o :o

KiwiJake

Fla._Deadheader

NICE pics. Great info. What are they using on the auto machine to run the blade from vertical to horizontal?? My idea of an actuator was shot down, so, what magic is involved here??  
   Is there ANY idea how long it will be before that unit is available in the US ???  My customer is already on my butt to get back sawing for him !!!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

KiwiJake

I'd say give it a few months, we've got to get the instruction manuals and etc up to full spec, we've also got to be absolutely ultra confident of our selves before we send them half way around the world!

The blade mech... it's a patent pending mechanical 100% lock (different, but as effective as our manual lock so 10" cut, no problemo), can't tell ya much more on that.

The board retrieval is cool too cause it can push or pull the board to what ever end you want, at the same time as it cuts the next board, howz that for no waisted runs.

Thank You Sponsors!