iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any wood hoarders?

Started by Arctiva, October 13, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctiva

So my old lady keeps saying I'm a wood hoarder. I say no hunny just wanna make sure we have enough this year and future years. We started burning last fall for the 1st time and had to get wood all winter long and was green wood.

Today I was checking out the "city community" wood site and seen another guy getting wood and kinda felt like I was being robbed of my free wood so i went home and got the bobcat and trailer and went and got a few more loads. 

And then it sunk in holly crap I'm a wood hoarder LOL anyways got a good start to next year and beyond.

Then she goes and says we have so much we could sell a few cords and I looked at her like What Woman lol I said sure you cut/split/stack and you can sell some haha

start to next years

lxskllr

I've got way more wood than I have a use for. I brought home a cord of cherry in the spring just so it wouldn't get wasted. Added it to the other 4 or 5 cords I already had. I also have a decent pile of ash at work. That's my emergency backup. It'll be a few years before I hit any wood emergencies  :rollseyes:

Arctiva

Last year I stressed over not enough wood,, and green couldn't keep a fire going longer than 8 hours and spent way to many weekends and after work gathering and splitting with a axe more wood. 

I have a cousin with like 5 years worth of wood ready to be cut and split. I think I'd feel better with about that much wood myself lol he has a few tree services drop him off wood so he dont even have to go get any

Arctiva

I'm loading up on Ash myself. My city is cutting down 80 ash trees between now and March from the boulevards and parks plus I have about 15 ash trees I could take down on my property. 

Old Greenhorn

man, you are doing this ALL wrong, Its like with guns, first  you never really make it so that they can figure out exactly what you have, spread it around, hide some in odd, out of the way places,. Then if they find it and  ask about it, you explain that you are holding it for a friend (prior arrangements  can be crucial here). It is all about their perception, not what is actually happening.  ;D ;D ;D 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Andries

Old GH speaks with words of great wisdom.
His advice is what works for me!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

hedgerow

I have been called that but when you burn 10 or 15 cord a year you better have some wood around. I am lucky and only cut wood on my own land one farm mostly as we have worked on and off 10 years cleaning that 160 acres up. Two years ago we did a corner of that farm that had a lot of big tall locust on it. I had a huge pile of logs off that area and a buddy stopped by one day and said are you trying to hoard wood. I said no I hope that's enough to keep me warm this winter. LOL. It was about 50 cord and its all processed now and put away. Just threw a load of it in the Garn this evening. House is a nice 74 degrees. 

trapper

At least 3 years worth cut and split.  Warm wife happy life.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

jaygtree

i am not a hoarder!  i'm a collector. 
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Nebraska

I just have more wood than I have. That's all.  ;D

woody_88

Nah you're no hoarder, I too have had some eyebrows raise about large piles of unprocessed firewood. Once it's cut and stacked, something magical happens, and it's not considered "hoarding" anymore  :)

City website for free firewood?? Sounds awesome! I just surf craigslist 

Klunker

if you have so much wood that its rotting before you can use it your a hoarder. ;D

Al_Smith

It depends how it's stored and what kind of as to how long it will take weather .Maple,hickory,cherry  not so long  .White oak,ash ,locust much longer .

Arctiva

Yeah my city has a site just outside of town they take all the cut trees from boulevards and parks too. And it's free to residents who want it. 

It's nice but your not gonna see alot of high quality wood either though. 

I heard they had 80 Ash trees alone they were cutting down between Oct and March. 

Arctiva

I do craigslist and facebook also but it's way easier to take the trailer and bobcat and load up 2 foot plus 6 foot or so logs and cut up when I have time.

I've hauled 11 7x14 dump trailer loads and never fired up the saw to load any wood. 

Been using rain days to get something productive done

woody_88

For sure you are doing it easier. And yes the free wood is not always choice wood. 

Allagash372XP

Anything free is worth saving up for!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Allagash372XP

Al_Smith

One of the most actual attempts I've seen at recycling was in Van Wert Ohio .You can haul in tree trimmings,yard waste,old appliances etc .They suck the freon out of the refridgeraters,air conditioners and sell the scrap metal .You can haul in a truck full of tree trimmings and haul out a load of mulch made from a big tub grinder .
The locals would attack big  logs from 100 year old soft maples and oaks  like ants on an ant hill with their little Craftsman saws and haul out firewood .Looked to me like a win win situation for everybody .
I'd imagine it might be sponsored by some type of tax of which I'm not familiar with and I'm certain helped  clean up the county road sides from dumping old junk hither and yon.Which I might add happens often on the county road I live on  which is in an adjoining county .Then the townships or the county is left to clean up the junk adding to what the property owners would pay in tax .

Ohio Dave

Here in Kent Ohio they have the same thing for yard waste.  They take logs also.  A lot of the logs are from city maintenance so they' are large.  Sometimes, not often, there's a score of decent wood.  Mostly its pine.

Thank You Sponsors!