iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut table tops

Started by CCC4, November 15, 2016, 10:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Hey guys, any of you all know if I can make any money out of re-cutting some black walnut stumps in the 4 to 5 foot class? Im guessing they were cut about a year ago and still have the bark holding tight. All are really fairly large and I was thinking i could dig around them a little, throw on a junk chain and maybe get a 2 or 3 inch slab out of each. Are they marketable and worth the effort?

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ToddsPoint

I've processed 2 walnut stumps for gunstocks.  Lots of cracks and pockets so plenty of loss.  Start by cutting all the side roots off and an angle so the lower part of the stump looks like a pencil that's been sharpened.  I'll add some pics if I can figure out how to do it.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

ladylake

That would take a lot of effort a most likely will crack up bad. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WDH

You could cut out some 4" thick blanks for bowls.  The blanks cannot contain the pith, and they should be cut out like a normal board with long grain and not crosscuts or cookies.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Solomon

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

tule peak timber

If I can get them , roots and stumps make interesting sellable pieces when sawn. Furniture legs, headboards, lintles, art mounts , plinths, just to mention a few uses. Try ripping the stumps and end -matching the slices for some spectacular effects. Cheers  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Don_Papenburg

That pretty much shows that you know the answer to your Q.   Go for it .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sealark37

A walnut stump of that size surely holds some beautiful gun stock blanks!  Harvesting a whole stump is a lot of work, but the potential for valuable lumber is worth it.    Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!