iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did a small favor for my Dad.

Started by JP135, October 01, 2011, 07:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP135

When I sawed the first log with my mill, I wasn't sure what I'd use the lumber for.

Last year my Dad died. Recently his veteran's service marker came in and I wanted to set the marker in time for what would've been his 80th birthday. This morning, I started looking around for lumber to use for the forms for the concrete base on which to set the bronze marker. Then it dawned on me - use wood from that first log. My dad would've really loved seeing my sawmill and every time I use it, I think of him.

So, I made the form from Oak grown on our family farm to set the concrete footing for his marker. Nothing spectacular, just honored to use my first lumber to commemorate the service of the man who gave me life and taught me most of what I know about being a man.

Semper Fi, Dad. I miss you every day.

sawguy21

That is a wonderful gesture to a good man.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Welsh

JP, you just brought tears to my eye,s. my father passed a few years ago and I have always wanted to do something also. its the thought that counts! thank you for sharing. Tim

clww

Great story and a fitting tribute to your Father.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ernie

Nice story, bit of a lump in the throat.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jasperfield

JP135,

That log of your Dad's that you sawed seems to be yielding much more than lumber, as you are about to see.

When I scrolled down to the photo of the marker I was quite surprised. Your father has the same last name as do I. Plemmons is not a common name.

I have the (complete) history of the Plemmons family for each generation from pre-American Revolution through 1988, for North America. It is typewritten and contains the names and lineage of the descendants of two brothers; Peter Plemons & John Plemons.

Both Peter and John were born in what is now Augusta county, VA., John in 1750 and Peter in 1755.

I am an 8th generation direct descendant of Peter, and you are an 8th generation direct descendant of John.

I don't know whether you know your family history, so I looked back through the sheets to select enough information to demonstrate to you that I know what (...rather, whom) I'm talking about. Here is a sample sans critical information: Your paternal grandfather was born 04/09/1880, here in Madison county, NC. He was a Baptist, and lived in Canton, NC before he married your grandmother.

If you'd like more information, send me an email and we can hook-up on the phone.

Jasperfield

Bill Gaiche

JP135, What a tribute to your Dad. You must be proud of him and his service.

Jasperfield has opened another chapter in your life, what a great connection because of the Forestry Forum. bg

r.man

Good choice. Small favours are the best ones.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JP135

Thanks everyone. It just felt like the right thing to do.

Quote from: Jasperfield on October 01, 2011, 10:48:24 PM
JP135,

That log of your Dad's that you sawed seems to be yielding much more than lumber, as you are about to see...

Jasperfield

Very much so. PM sent - looking forward to hearing from you. JP

thecfarm

My Father never got to see my mill either. He would of enjoyed sawing so much with it. He was always talking about sawmills in this area,which are long gone. Most was run only in the spring time and they dammed up the brooks and streams and inlets and outlets of ponds to get the power. Saw in the spring and build in the summer.
Looks mighty fine to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rambo

Makes me want to drive over and give my dad a hug.
Thanks for sharing that.

mandolin

Good man. I thank God every day that my Daddy is still with us. He's 84 years old and loves to help me on the mill.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

Chuck White

That was a great tribute!

Nice work.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JP135

Quote from: rambo on October 02, 2011, 07:14:04 PM
Makes me want to drive over and give my dad a hug.

Don't put it off. Do it.

Tullivor

great story.  I am very lucky to get to work with my dad daily.  If there is always one person you can count on for anything its your dad. 

papow22

Quote from: Tullivor on October 02, 2011, 09:22:14 PM
great story.  I am very lucky to get to work with my dad daily.  If there is always one person you can count on for anything its your dad. 
That last comment should be told to all sons Dad is gone,but not forgotten.My Dad passed on July 1/2007,to this day I still missed him.........

And to Rambo,Don't think 2 hard or long life 2 short
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

captain_crunch

Go give Dad a hug mine passed when I was 12 like 40years ago and I still miss him. Great jesture on stone Uncle that kinda took dads role was also a vet of Korea
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

sixteenacrewood

Very, very cool of you to share this with us.

Thanks

sandhills

I'd be willing to bet that your dad sees that as much more than just a small favor.  That was a very nice thing you did and thank you for sharing it with the rest of us, I'm glad you found such a special use for that first wood.

Thank You Sponsors!