iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grinding wheel for rakers

Started by BCinVT, March 19, 2010, 05:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCinVT

OK Probably another dumb question from me.But,I recently bought an electric chain sharpener,and it came with 3 sizes of wheels 1/8",3/16"1/4".What I'm wondering is,can you get some kind of flat sided wheel to grind down the rakers?If so,where?Or is this something I have to do by hand?Thanks
I don't think I know it all. I know enough to ask now.To bad it took so long to figure that out:)

Al_Smith

Those little grinders are okay to repair a rocked out chain but that's about it .

I personally wouldn't grind the rakers because you don't remove much metal when doing so .Too much you end up with a grabby chain,not good .

bandmiller2

BC,your better off doing the rakers with a file with one of those little gauges.My grinder came with a wider stone for rakers but their not accurate enough due to spring in the grinder.I'am not the poster boy for "correct" I  kiss my rakers on a fine wheel on a bench grinder, with care of course.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

HolmenTree

Quote from: BCinVT on March 19, 2010, 05:53:10 AM
OK Probably another dumb question from me.But,I recently bought an electric chain sharpener,and it came with 3 sizes of wheels 1/8",3/16"1/4".What I'm wondering is,can you get some kind of flat sided wheel to grind down the rakers?If so,where?Or is this something I have to do by hand?Thanks
I see you have a bench mounted grinder from what you say about the 1/8, 3/16, 1/4"wheels.
Silvey makes a depth gauge grinder called the HDG-6. Probably the best grinder of its kind in the world. It won't be cheap though. Give Madsen's a call.
I think you may just stick with the flat file. :D
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

You will need to shape a wheel for doing the rakers, if such a wheel is not there. To shape it you will ned a dressing stone(which too is shaped) and a dressing gauge to check(I suspect) if you have got the wheel profile right.
Why dont you just invest  in a flat file?

BCinVT

Thanks for the info.I do have a flat file that I use on my rakers now.I was just trying to take the lazy way.Guess I'll just keep doing them by hand.That dam electric chainsharpener has spoiled me.
I don't think I know it all. I know enough to ask now.To bad it took so long to figure that out:)

flushcut

You can use a grinder if you want but it is not the best by hand is the best way.  The thick wheel that came with you grinder is for the rackers mount the wheel in the grinder set it to the recommended angle lay the dressing brick on the chain vise and grind the wheel to that angle now you are set to grind the rackers.  I think your owners manual has this info in it mine did but I have the Oregon model.  As a side note I would hand file them.
Husquvarna Chainsaws

joe_indi

I found the handheld grinders which work off 12v batteries (with clamps) to be useful for doing the cutters every now and then.
It helps to bring the cutters into shape once more.
To take the 'urgency' out of the grinders and to make them run a bit gentler, I tap the 6volt  post and also the 8volt post of the battery.
This brings down the rpm quite a bit but make the grinders more manageable.
Probably a rheostat would work as well

Joe

buzzegray

I use a HF chainsaw grinder to take the rakers down .

Cut4fun

My stihl USG grinder has a wheel for doing just rakers with. But I still do rakers by hand, It's just to darn easy not to.

bill m

I haven't used my grinder in years. I hand file everything - makes for a sharper chain. IMO
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

JohnG28

I personally like filing by hand, though Ive never used a grinder. It isnt much hastle to go over the teeth, a few passes usually brings them back nice and sharp, and the rakers only need a few passes to bring them down every several sharpenings, not enough to use a grinder on, at least for my use.  Now a rocked out chain I could see a grinder being helpful on, or a longer chain where theres a whole lot of cutters to sharpen, but for me a hand files just fine.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Cut4fun

Quote from: JohnG28 on March 21, 2010, 10:37:44 AM
  Now a rocked out chain I could see a grinder being helpful on.

Bingo  smiley_clapping

You  guys above me shoot me your mailing addy's so I can send you 2 of my friends firewood cutters, rocked out chains, that dont know how to sharpen their own  :-X chains right. It's takes a grinder to just get everything pretty much back to even. Then you will know why I bought a grinder  ;D :D.   hour by hand or 5 mins on a grinder to straighten up a rocked chain  8).

It's easy to take care of our own chains by hand. We know when to quit and touch them up. But some guys like to cut with butter knives  then want stuff sharpened.

Meadows Miller

Gday

What cut4fun said is spoton and what i woulda said to tee Mate  ;)  ;D hand files are all you should need and do the best job  i dont use gudes and have never liked them either  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

HolmenTree

I carry a cordless 4 1/2" angle grinder in my truck. Don't use it very often but it comes in handy on the job when you forget to replenish the 32" spare chains. I can grind back the rocked out corners real quick and then finish them up with a round file.
The secret with the angle grinder is thin grinding wheel and don't put too much pressure on the cutters.
I keep a supply of  "course" Oregon files in the truck also. These are brand new files from the 1980s, sure come in handy on the lightly rocked out chains, then I finish the edges with a"fine" toothed file.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!